transom repair opinions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by swade, May 21, 2012.

1. swade

swade Senior Member

I just knew you were going to say that as that's the opposite of what i was hoping for lol

I'll run down to ta mahoneys here and see what type of single polys they have, i'm not too familiar with boat type paints, worst i can run and grab some 2 part. I don't want to put too much more money into this so whatever looks ok will work. 1/2 that transom would get bottom paint eventually anyways, so visually you're just looking at tieing in the top section somehow, i'm thinking shoot it and the well white, or both grey.

Now I do have some kd2000 2k acrylic/epoxy surfacer primer left over from another project.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/PDF/TechData/English/KD2000.pdf

Just curious, think that would work as a tie coat? That I already have on hand enough for this repair. I'm going to guess the answer is "who knows" =) and looks like paint it will be

2. swade

swade Senior Member

Went by the store, yeah those 1 parts seems good enough for this job.

3. swade

swade Senior Member

update

Me and this thing are cursed, rained like heck over the weekend, hadn't rained in months.

Drilled my mounts in the oversized holes, did a test fit real quick as well....feels solid, the boat rocks transom doesn't. I ended up just glassing the back well instead of hunting some trim. Not sure if that matters but i figure after bonding the well to the transom along with that..nothing should go anywhere.

Everything is now block sanded, used my air ro to smooth everything out. Wish i could have feathered back more but i can't feel any ridges with my hand and surfacer will take care of left overs.

All that is left is to overdrill my outboard well drains, round over my edges bit better and final ro sand with 220.

I think i've decided 2 part just for the drying time since i have everything here. In one day i can mask, shoot surfacer and paint and get the motor mounted but i gotta see where i can get some 2 part from, i know auto paint store i got to i can get some 2k but not sure if boat is different, maybe fcgi or some place.

Attached Files:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

FGCI might have some options and they're close, though there's plenty of places to choose from in your area. For a trailer borne boat, automotive LPU will do fine, though most are getting away from solvent base and using water now.

5. swade

swade Senior Member

Update! Bit of light at the end of the tunnel

Got the primer/surfacer laid down, I knew I rushed the fairing a bit so I layed a good number of coats. Ready to block sand then shoot.

I sprayed it inside where i'll be painting so I could i could feather it a bit and not have a hard line.

Still deciding to go a white or work a contrast in there, leaning towards some grey contrast as no way i'll match it. One thing i learned only get a white boat not off-white , too much a pain when it comes time to match but for this thing it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm leaning towards the outside well a light grey, inside of the ladder area too. I don't plan to paint the whole back since it's not going to match anyways, just the repair areas creatively.

I do notice a few pinholes i missed, i'm thinking mixing some talc or bubbles with the primer and just use a toothpick to dab it in and over those spots before final sand. Hope that would fill them.

Attached Files:

6. swade

swade Senior Member

surprisingly the curved well edges came out good, i rushed and grabbed a spray paint can and stuck sand paper to it to work the curve.

7. PAR

Make sure you put some sort of top coat over the primer. It looks good, can't wait to see it splashed.

8. swade

swade Senior Member

Getting closer!

It *may* be top coated tomorrow...ran down and picked up some paint yesterday..went with auto 2k since i already have my sas pump and stuff out from shooting the primer.

of course rain is forecast this week...without a doubt rain and this thing is my arch nemesis.

Today i block sanded the primer. Mixing some talc with primer really filled the few pinhole places nicely!

Hell i couldn't make up my mind on color, I just went with a grey to get it done. I'm going to paint the non skid areas grey as well (low gloss) which will hopefully tie it in a bit.

9. swade

swade Senior Member

I can't believe it

...done...stick a fork in it. Painted and Motor is up!

This thread drug on forever (almost 12mos i think?) while life got in the way of a guesstimate 4 week project =) lol

I have a lot of little things to put back together on the motor and back and still have to put some splashwell drains in.

Par I *couldn't* have done it without your and others advice, I thank you for the help here and a few other previous threads. In hindsight i'm a ***** for tackling this but it was quite a learning adventure. I've learned a ton from this thread.

This thread ain't dead yet as I still have to splash it. But thanks are due to those who helped as i think the transom is wrapped up at this point! Hey in a week or 2 i may even find time to read other threads on this forum for a change!

Attached Files:

10. PAR

Nice styling on the gray paint and congratulations, you struggled, but hung tough, which is what these sort of things are all about. You are now qualified to raise children. If in the area, give me a call and we can crack a cold one over the thing.

11. swade

swade Senior Member

Thanks par for the congrats and again thanks for the help!, i'll drink to that!

Yeah i whipped up that styling at last minute. Thought about carrying around with a hullstripe but too much work. WELL worth the 7 bucks for fineline tape. I rushed that back end at the last minute so much it was insane. Im actually shocked and quite happy with myself how it came out.

Biggest thing that made a difference in the end was primer surfacer, and when i thought it was good figure it wasn't and to going back one more time to sand again and fill in pinholes. That extra hour made all the difference. Besides the fineline tape, i invested in a durablock instead of using a wood board i usually scrounge around for.

Learning experience for sure, so much on it from what not to buy, to how these things are built and what to look for, and from using the epoxy, finishing (i've done a few non structural things on this boat but this surely improved on those) ...big list of learning there.

Without a doubt in hindsight the flat out toughest part was not knowing what you're doing, the work was not bad (well except the 1st experience with laying biax on a vertical surface..that was a nightmare lol), but the constant "am i doing this right" drove me nuts. But hey that's life...the next time it gets easier.

Got a few more motor and odds n end things buttoned up today. Maybe next week will get it all together and can run it in a week or two...we'll see.

Then to decide what's next...

but will update when i run it for sure!

12. PAR

I know a guy with a 65' power yacht you can have for cheap, just a little work . . . maybe a retirement home. It's sweet, for less then 20K.

13. swade

swade Senior Member

Sounds like i wouldn't be able to afford the lawyer I'd need for the divorce =)

14. swade

swade Senior Member

just some more updates here,

got most of the motor back together and fired up still finishing few oddsnends there. I repainted that honda about 2 years ago (not perfect, i will never never never try to paint metallic again)...before looked like hell but ran great!

I liked the repair gray color so much i shot the back and front non skid with it and it helped tie in the repair area contrast really nicely i think.

I decided lots of upholstery on boats is crazy. Even though i had redone the ply backing a year or so ago, this week I jerked all that out sanded off the old mastic. I'm also going to pull the captains chair and throw a plastic one down with snap on/off pads if we keep it a bit longer (haven't made up my mind yet.).

I was on schedule progress wise this past 2 weeks, so going to strengthen up my first fiberglass project from this thread

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/ma...ss-reproduced-fg-part-33192-2.html#post417647

which was this hatch

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32698314@N05/5167873453/

I didn't know what i was doing when i built that, it's pretty strong and thick heck winds have blown it off the boat onto concrete before i had hinged it down , but it's all mat no core, took a lot to keep from flexing. So i''m going to put a couple layers of biax on the underside since i have a bit left over to strengthen it up a bit. Then going to shoot the raised part of that grey and maybe even the dash.

Attached Files:

15. PAR

You've come a long way Grasshopper, very nice, now lets see her wet and scooting . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.