Glass fiber cement

Discussion in 'Materials' started by TANSL, Jan 8, 2018.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Cement reinforced by round rods of fiberglass instead of traditional round steel rods. What do you think of this technique?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

We have been talking about it for the last 3 weeks, but with basalt rods, because the cement adheres better, and you can buy heavy duty mesh. Here is a video of the process

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

just regular glass fibers will do that flower box in the video in 3/4 ich

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Polyester strands and rods are very common in the building industry. A 30% material savings can be usually seen on well designed concrete structures.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, in civil construction takes time being used.
    RTHp.jpg
    I was wondering if, given its inalterability against corrosion and the absence of magnetic character, it would have already been applied to shipbuilding. In this forum we have talked about cement reinforced with steel rod, in naval construction and had not mentioned, as far as I know, the fiberglass rod.
    It would also be interesting to know glass-asbestos opinions and comparisons

6. dsigned

dsigned O.R.C. Hunter

I started a thread a while back about this:
    Ok everyone, it's that time of the year again: time to talk about concrete https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/ok-everyone-its-that-time-of-the-year-again-time-to-talk-about-concrete.59200/

I actually just finished my second test panel with chopped glass fiber. I think my next one may be PVA fibers (poly vinyl alcohol).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.