Transom planing boxes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Delaney, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Delaney

Delaney Junior Member

I have found a design I like which has a constant 14 degree V. The boat is only 18 feet long so I wanted to add a 12" wide x 15" long full flotation box similar looking to the transom livewells on old Mako's and Aquasports. I then wanted to put trim tabs on the planing boxes.

I know they put something similar on aluminum boats made by companies like Sea Ark. Is this all overkill and should I just go with the trim tabs or is it a viable option for making the hull ride better.:?: What about a full transom bracket:?:

The hull design is a great 18' boat with a Carolina Flare bow which is hard to find in a small boat plan. It is recommended for a 50-70 hp and I wanted to make sure it would really perform with a 50. The designer estimates the total wt of the boat rigged out with fuel to around 1700lbs less passengers.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.