Paint weight

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Apr 2, 2008.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

While I am probably committed to trying awlgrip- after all the excellent advice given in the awlgrip challenge thread- I was wondering if there was a simple way to estimate the weight of a paint. While my one friend says it's not much of a factor, I know that for aircraft it has a significant effect on weight and balance. Are there any paints that are significantly lighter in weight than others? (My boat is both ugly and overweight:eek: - I haven't told it that I 'm building a new boat yet)
    Thanks
    Rob

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

weigh it hehe ;)
    no really hehe ;)
    take like a very "touchy" scale,,hehe,,"grams", find something 1 square inch,,weigh it,,hehe
    now paint it,,now weigh it again,,then get a good calculator,,or,,,,if i was worried bout weight,,,id make sure i farted before i got aboard,,hehe ;)
    and if this dont help,,call awl-grip and ask em 1-888-355-3090
    i probably have the "specs" but,,,,i really dont love you enough to do all that reading,,,,(yet) hehe ;)

3. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

OK- I suppose I asked for that. I guess the real question is does any of the paints wet weight evaporate off as it dries?

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ummmmm,,,no REALLY,,,weigh it like i said,,grab a flat piece of aluminum or plastic,,grab a "float" scale from auto parts store,,there usually about $4,,and weigh before,,,,while wet,,and after cured.,,i cant imagine that there is any more weight loss then MAYBE 2 or 3 % of wet weight total over a 60' boat,,paint doesnt evaporate very well,, and with no evap.,,,there should be no loss hehe,,now WEIGH it hehe ;)

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

rturbutt,

You answered your own question, of course it becomes lighter as the wet weight evaporates, the solvent is removed to atmosphere, leaving the solids behind. You can easily find out the percentage of solids from most paint company data sheets, that is what is left after the solvents have gone.