paying seams

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by rideaubill, Mar 31, 2010.

1. rideaubill

rideaubill Junior Member

Hi All,

I have a double hulled utility boat 26feet (if that matters?) Stripped most of the bottom, removed old red lead putty and old cotton. I plan to re-cotton the seams and seal. I have heard it is best to apply linseed oil to the cotton and insert it after a coat of paint in the seams. Is that good advice?

The other question is how to pay the seams after the cotton is in...I have heard some say go back to red lead putty (I don't think it's even available in Canada/USA? ) Some say Pettit seam sealer, some Interlux seam cement, some sikaflex..some life caulk.... I'm lost as to what to do! Also finding it hard to find any of the pettit or interlux sealers here in Canada.

Any help would be great!

Bill

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

This is one that boatbuilders argue, debate, rebutt, and refute. You will find as many opinions as boatbuilders.

See this old Woodenboat Forum thread (and the Wooden Boat forum www.woodenboat.com/forum is also another good place to ask this question as there are some boatbuilders up your way that might have leads on suppliers). http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1554.html

FWIW, I was told and have always bedded the cotton (dry) in a heavy wet painted seam. Then paint over the cotton as much as it will take up. Then a non-hardening seam compound. I would never use an adhesive caulk for seam sealing unless it was on a "throwaway" plywood skiff or some other "quick and dirty" non-repairable structure.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I always caulk with dry cotton over wet thick paint too. Don't use an adhesive caulk. Any kind of underwater seam sealer will work if used properly. If you use a synthetic kind, they have their own primer which you need to use instead of paint.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.