transom building need help

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by robertgrandbois, Mar 29, 2010.

1. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

I am restoring an old 14 ft Plywood boat. It had a oak transom that was fiber glassed and rotted. My problem is to try to find a piece of oak that is wide enough. Can i Glue 6 inch pieces together with thickened epoxy ( west system) or do i go with epoxying two or three pieces of marine plywood?

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

white oak has issues with epoxy but G-flex works best according the west
    plywood might be your best option on this one but you might post some picts so that other member can led there best advice.
    cheers
    B

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

White oak is one of those woods that epoxy doesn't stick to well. I see you've redone this thread.
    Do this in the most accepted and foolproof way. Build the transom up using plywood. It will probably last longer than the rest of the boat.
    Oak is not a wise choice. Especially 6" wide pieces. Especially the kind of kiln-dried, flat-sawn stuff you'll likely find in your local area.
    The worst thing you can do when coring an epoxy-encapsulated part is to use wide, thick hardwood.

4. robertgrandbois

robertgrandbois Junior Member

thanks alot guys i will build it up in plywood

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.