transmission question

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by green guy, May 20, 2002.

1. green guy

green guy New Member

This is probally going to sound stupid, but I have an 86 Eliminator Competion Skiboat that is on it's last summer with the original motor. My current transmission is fine. I'm wanting to have the best of both worlds, a great hole shot for skiing and an impressive topend. Will a two speed transmission do the job, if so wich one? Or should I just build a really stout motor. This might help, it has a 351c with a 1:1 velvet drive transmission. Any responce will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jason.
    Houston,TX

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I've never had reason to actually check, but I would have thought that a 2-speed transmission would cost almost as much as your boat is worth........
    A more feasable option might be to look around for a variable pitch prop - the type which automatically "switches gear" when you reach certain revs. These are readily available for outboards and sterndrives - I'm not sure if you can buy them for inboards.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

When you fit your new motor, put on an Eddlebrock inlet manifold, the one they put on 4wheel drive stuff (2001 I think) and go up an inch or two on the prop pitch. The manifold will help your torque for a good pull out and the pitch will add a bit on top. Otherwise get another boat, it aint easy making boats go fast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.