Transducer location 20' cc

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Poor Boy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Poor Boy

Poor Boy Junior Member

I've got an older 20' Sea Craft and I can't seem to get the transducer location right so it will read at speed. It's where the manufacturer says to put it on the transom, but I'm wondering if it would be better inside the hull. Any experience with this ?

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

it is my experiance that they work well at slower speeds,,,,,,5 or 7 knots,you may be sucking air at higher speeds,(this is for bottom machines) I cant tell you about depth finders,,,,,longliner

3. Poor Boy

Poor Boy Junior Member

Yup, this one works perfectly before you get on plane.
    The ones on my trawler do well, too, at 8 to 10 knots, but they're 4' down, even the one in the bilge does quite well. We put one in a 21' deep vee inboard outboard at my mom's in Md, just set it into the bilge near the stern.
    It worked amazingly well at 30 knots. I learned more about the river I grew up on in three or four boat rides than I did in years of wandering around. I might try this one the same way.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.