Recommend a surf cat?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Zootalaws, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

I have looked at a few plans, including Tornado, Mosquito, DS12, etc. but they are too 'serious' for something quick a fun off the beach.

So, I am looking to make a fun car-toppable 12-16 footer, easy to build, not- competitive, family-oriented cat.

I really got my racing start in NZ's P-class, Moth, R-class dinghies, but my greatest success was in Cat's - A-class, Tornado, etc. but the fun for the family was with Hobie and similar.

I would like to build something I can easily chuck on the top of the Jeep and head to the beach with my mates and their kids. Cat's are so family-friendly.

So, any recommendations?

Free would be ideal, but am happy to pay for good-quality plans.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I know you cant buy plans for it and it's production but a mate of mine swears by his Windrush 14 surfcat and I must admit the thing goes well. It was never quite a match for my old mozzie particularly upwind but it won easily as far as getting the thing off the trailer singlehanded and into the water, rigging and having fun.

4. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

I was hoping for something more modern :) Those plans are from about 40+ years ago.

5. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Yeah, the Windrush is the kind of thing I was hoping to emulate. I have many hours in them.

Not much chance of anything second-hand in the jungle, I'm afraid :) Not many sailboats at all.

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Suggest Frank Pelin design 14 (much like a Windrush) and 18' Surfcats although they need trailers. Woods Pixie for car-topping maybe??
    http://www.pelinplans.co.nz/catalogue.htm
    Would have thought plenty of cheap Hobies in Aus.

Attached Files:

7. joz

joz Senior Member

Try Dudley Dix's Oppi Kat whilst its small around 9 feet you can proably ask him to develop you a larger version of this boat. have a look at this link http://www.dixdesign.com/oppikat.htm

8. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Thanks.

Dunno, don't live in Oz.

9. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Good point :)

10. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

Hobie 16's come up for sail all the time, most of them is fairly good condition. They are a proven, fun design.

11. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

12. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Hey thanks! That's really cool - I've always wanted to sail a parallel-masted Cat.

I;m normally pretty good with google, but I drew a blank on plans - this is such a great forum!

Thanks again.

13. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Senior Member

I mainly sail beachcats, I would go for an A class, one of the quickest, lightest, easy to sail, easy to build boats.

I have a Unicorn 18ft A-class, trailer/launch/sail yourself, sail on any day when you want to sail boat.(GRP Built)

Here's some plans for a beautiful wave slicing A-class.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/49/build-your-own-a-class-catamaran?Article49.html

But if you want to just bang around in the surf, turning end to end and all sorts of crazy stunts and scare yourself half to death, then I would buy a Hobie 16 tomorrow and stop talking about it. You can buy a complete Hobie16 including the trailer for less than a thousand US. If you're competitive there is so much Hobie racing out there and it's a lot of fun.

Here are two videos both shot in similar sea and wind conditions one is on a Unicorn A-Class the other a Hobie16. Both from a camera on my head, note the wild pitching and bouncing around and near capsizes in the Hobie16. The A-class sails beautifully and is graceful in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSz0i9ZYmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRSsM1cHzUw

14. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Thanks for the link. But an A-class isn't exactly car-toppable...

Hobie is a no-go - for a number of reasons - primarily, there are no yachts for sale here, of any kind. None. And a Hobie isn't car-toppable.

I suppose I could import one, but I shudder to think what the freight cost would be - plus I don't have $8000 just hanging around to spend on a hobby.

I think Bernd Kohler's SC435 is the right one for what I want.

Easy to break down. I can make the mast, sail, etc. myself. Simple construction with materials I can source locally.

Thanks HASYB!

15. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

For car topping with a tall vehicle it helps if the boat can be raised in two steps. As shown here my sailboat has a flat topped transom so it is stable when I lift it up to lean on the van (step 1) and I only have to lift one end at a time. This is far easier than a long double-ended boat of similar weight.

I did find a small platform made of 2 x 4's under the transom gave me space to get my hands underneath, but this was only a first try - the boat isn't even painted.

The wheel? It fits into the daggerboard slot so I can move the boat around like a wheelbarrow: the oars are used as handles.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.