Thought Provoking Extract

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by RHP, Oct 20, 2015.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I'm sad to read of the demise of Alloy Yachts in NZ, pioneers in many ways and never produced anything other than a pretty set of lines. Reminded me of an email I received over night from a colleague in India, it's not a reflection on Alloy but there's a message there for all businessmen no matter your trade or field:

During the press conference to announce NOKIA being acquired by Microsoft, the Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this "we didn't do anything wrong, but somehow we lost". Upon saying that all his management team, himself included teared sadly.

Nokia has been a respectable company. They didn't do anything wrong in their business, however, the world changed too fast. Their opponents were too powerful.

They missed out on learning, they missed out on changing, and thus they lost the opportunity at hand to make it big. Not only did they miss the opportunity to earn big money, they lost their chance of survival.

The message of this story is, if you don't change, you shall be removed from the competition.

It's not wrong if you don't want to learn new things. However, if your thoughts and mindset cannot catch up with time, you will be eliminated.

Conclusion:

1. The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow. You don't have to do anything wrong, as long as your competitors catch the wave and do it RIGHT, you can lose out and fail.

2. To change and improve yourself is giving yourself a second chance. To be forced by others to change, is like being discarded.

Those who refuse to learn & improve, will definitely one day become redundant & not relevant to the industry. Its a fact....

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

3. Oleboynow

Oleboynow Previous Member

One day a terrible fire broke out in a forest - a huge woodlands was suddenly engulfed by a raging
    wild fire. Frightened, all the animals fled their homes and ran out of the forest. As they came to the
    edge of a stream they stopped to watch the fire and they were feeling very discouraged and
    powerless. They were all bemoaning the destruction of their homes. Every one of them thought
    there was nothing they could do about the fire, except for one little hummingbird.
    This particular hummingbird decided it would do something. It swooped into the stream and picked
    up a few drops of water and went into the forest and put them on the fire. Then it went back to the
    stream and did it again, and it kept going back, again and again and again. All the other animals
    watched in disbelief; some tried to discourage the hummingbird with comments like, "Don't bother,
    it is too much, you are too little, your wings will burn, your beak is too tiny, it’s only a drop, you
    can't put out this fire."
    And as the animals stood around disparaging the little bird’s efforts, the bird noticed how hopeless
    and forlorn they looked. Then one of the animals shouted out and challenged the hummingbird in a
    mocking voice, "What do you think you are doing?" And the hummingbird, without wasting time or
    losing a beat, looked back and said, "I am doing what I can."

and that is how I lived my life too, we try

I rang Tony Hambrook from Ally three weeks ago guiding him to a tender page
    He said they were never competitive in Grey Boats

He and I worked engine room in alloy yachts early days, I left to begin my own business

4. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

The best CRT computer monitor I ever had was a huge Nokia 455 ... It just couldn't handle a cat puking on it in the wrong place....

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Wow, I'm tipping that hummingbird was a pyromaniac and started the fire ! :D

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I don't follow the logic at all - how can they claim not to have done wrong - then list all the things that caused their problems ????

If refusing or learn and improve isn't "wrong" for a company, I don't know what is.

As for that Hummingbird, he sounds like he used to work for Nokia.

7. RHP

RHP Senior Member

I guess what they're saying is their business plan was sound however events caused by other companies put them out of business. IE they didn't have the resources of Apple or Samsung to drive into the latest generation of phones that so quickly dominated the market. Blackberry would probably say the same, it became a 2 tier market except the market only wanted tier 1.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The demise of much manufacturing in Australasia is attributable to exchange rate movements.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

South Africa and its people and its government is a first class example of becoming redundant.
    Lazy useless uneducated uneducable stupid people
    that don't have the ability or capacity to learn anything
    they blame exchange rates and the demise of their currency, but they cause it, and are part of it
    they cant and wont get off their backsides to work
    they are born beggars that will starve and still not lift a finger to work

yet they are blessed by good fortune to have all the minerals and resources you could imagine to have
    excepting brains

companies like Ally rely on raw materials imported from us
    yet if they moved operations here they also would have gone down anyway
    sometimes businesses simply don't make it
    sometimes its just part of the life cycle
    ultimately everything has a sell-by date

I am just very sad when I see knowledge, skills and experience disappear

10. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I hear. Sympathies from a fellow cynic.

For years now I've been of the opinion that as long as the US Constitution was obeyed it was a singular blessing to this country: not because DC wasn't usually the domain of nitwits but while there was so little they could actually do there was as a consequence little they could really, really screw up and that they were then, by default, among the least competent at being incompetent (for lack of wherewithal, not trying or, um, talent). Of course now they hold there is no limit to their scope of powers and so they've "quickly" (just a few decades longer than I've been around) grown into among the most competent at being incompetent.

Which is to say: the Keystone Cops have nothing on Congress....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.