Trampoline lacing points...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by paxfish, Dec 2, 2014.

1. paxfish

paxfish Junior Member

Hi Gang, I recently acquired a 28 foot sailing catamaran that has a central engine pod to which the trampoline laces. I knew there was rot at the lacing points and I've been working to replace those lacing points with a length of PVC tube laminated to the edge of the pod.

There will be notches cut into the tube about every 6 inches down it's length. Inside that tube will be a fiberglass rod around which the laces will ride. The cloth lays up and over the "gunnel" so to speak and wraps around the other side a bit. The lacing forces will be outboard and down up to 20 degrees. The edge MIGHT get stepped on in the heat of battle.

My question is, how many layers of 6oz cloth would be required here? I realize it's a bit of a gut feel thing - so far I have two layers laminated.

Thanks for your patience with my first post on what appears to be a great forum.

[​IMG]

2. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

5/32 thick

I use 20oz biax mat. At two layers thick 1/8". But I am beefing up a flexable gunnel. Automotive flexable electical conduct. This is a surely a overkill situation. Sorry I can't help much. I will soon be glassing an ama trampoline mount

3. paxfish

paxfish Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I ended up going with a total of 6 layers of 6 ounce fabric. The laces will be 1/8" (3mm) Dyneema to minimize the size of the notches needed. I'll post up a picture soon (paint is drying and I should have the whole sarcophagus re-installed over the weekend!)

That line sounds light, I know, but my buddy has had it on his Corsair tramp for three years with no visible chafing or wear.

I used 1/2" I.D. Schedule 40 PVC pipe on the inside.

4. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

off topic picture post

I am haveing problems getting pictures to up load

5. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mark.

There are a few ways you can include pictures within a post.

Click on "Go Advanced" on the quick reply or click the blue Post Reply button, then click Manage Attachments and you can upload images with your post. Make sure you don't have your browser set to block the attachment popup window. Then you select the photo from your local hard drive, click upload, and then post your reply or new post and the images will be attached. JPEG is generally the best file format.

Alternately, you can use IMG BBcode tags to include your photo from your publicly accessible web space or photo sharing site by including the jpeg image's URL within IMG tags.