drafting machines

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by rtrg, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg New Member

I found this board while searching for info on elbow drafting machines. I am looking for owners manuals for the "TYPICAL" elbow branded with the ALVIN, MUTOH, K&E, and VEMCO. Any info as in links, web sites, pdf files, personal contacts welcome. The design of the machine is a part of my buying decision. Thanks.

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I'm a parallel guide rule board guy myself.

I wonder how many young people reading this think you are talking about some sort of software?:D

Try Craig's list, it's local.

So many firms threw the last of their drafting stuff in the dumpster 10-20 years ago that stuff might be found in the vintage furniture shops.

The old mail order places are still selling on-line. Prices vary all over the place, it pays to shop around.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I have a Vemco V-track drafting machine, and Vemco's company website has a complete owner's manual for it. And by complete, I mean it includes an exploded diagram of the protractor head -- plus clear instructions for common repair and adjustment procedures. I would assume they do the same for their elbow machines....

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Vemco elbow here.

Though it sees damn little use as Cad and the plotter stand ready...

5. rtrg

rtrg New Member

vemco elbow

Can anyone tell me if the typical VEMCO elbow like the 3300/3500 can be rotated a full 360 degrees at the base, elbow, and head? Scales and protractor rotated 360 independantly? The on line manual does not mention that. My K&E PARAGON does NOT rotate 360 at the base. Thus the machine can only be mounted with the base on the left, so that the vertical scale is on the right pointing up. I need the exact opposite mounting with the scale STILL pointing right and up.. If the mounting rotates 360 and the other two points also rotate 360 than the unit could be mounted left or right with the vertical scale still pointing up. Any info welcome. The only variable is the head used for RH and LH. Feel free to pass this along.

6. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I can tell you when I get back out to the shop tomorrow morning.

7. rtrg

rtrg New Member

vemco

Thanks in advance for your interest. In the meantime I am going to cut off a mounting chuck from my old head, and mount it to the existing 90 degree chuck making it a "T". In that way I can mount the vertical scale pointing to the base. The only downside is there is not enough rotation in the base to align the "0" mark on the horizontal plane. I will need to use the "(90)" degree mark instead. Not ideal but usable.

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

OK- on mine (a older Vemco broken elbow w/16" arms), the graduated bezel rotates a full 360.
    At any position, the bezel holding the scales may be locked to the graduated bezel thus indexing to the "O".
    So two locks- one on the graduated bezel and another on the one for scales.

9. rtrg

rtrg New Member

vemco

It sounds like it might work for me. If the base also rotates 360 then it can then be mounted to the right with the vertical pointed up torward the base.

10. rtrg

rtrg New Member

K&e

BENTL--- Thanks for your advice. As I said I have 3 examples of a K&E PARAGON. #1 has a protractor that does NOT rotate 360. The scales do but the "0" mark cannot line up the hash mark. The vertical scale ends up facing towards the front. #2 has a protractor that DOES rotate 360 and the "0" Does line up with the hash mark. The scale faces torward the mount. #3 has NP stops in the rear housing, but DOES have a knob/screw on the top that I presume is for height, and/or tilt. The scales and protractor both rotate 360. Scale ends up facing to the post and the horizontal faces left.The scales are always uncovered. Hence THIS one is a RH and LH mount. Why the differences I have no clue. No model # or revision. I hate it when designers make things harder than they need to be.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.