Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Jul 2, 2008.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Never if you got any sense Kach! (keep making the money but don't give up on the dreams! it makes life worth living)

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I have no money.............dark times, not even the dreams can delude me anymore.:cool:

4. safewalrus

What's money?

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The stuff you pay the bills with........................or try to.

I'm going to get a real job with a regular pay check.

I'm fatigued of being self employed, my drive is gone.

6. safewalrus

Oh that stuff! lack of it made me go back to work too!

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I want to cash-out or cash-in, you know..........sell-out.

Experience is like the lottery, right?

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Poor lad
    Man of your talents, have you thought abt Turkey or somewhere warm for a change
    We have a spare room, no money required, but beware a cabbage in summer here will cost you 10 dollars
    I never made much from being self employed either, since 78, had my own freehold place where I built the boats, but only thing I ever made from boatbuilding was friends
    To make money you need to be hard, ruthless, screw your men down, and then when you have it all, you are so engrossed in your success, you a re not a real person Least thats the way of small time operators here
    Mm you a re still young, I never got money til 12 years ago, then the twits lost most of it for me
    When you have it you are worried bout losing it, when you dont life is simpler, maybe

9. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Been there. Heh - more than once.

Not an easy choice to make. Mine were mostly made for me by gold-digging exwives, but the most recent example was when the company I was contracting with dropped me like a hot rock and outsourced to the Philippines. Twelve peeps and about $30,000 in monthly billings -POOF! - overnight. (Even more irritating, I helped them build their biz in the early days. Gratis! The *******s.)

Unless you NEED to sell your assets, just hang onto them - keep at it part-time. Hobby basis, even. (You'll never get what they're worth.) If you've had the itch once, it'll return. Without the pressure on, it may be easier to see an oddball opportunity, or at least give you the courage to take a risk that will what, suck all the funds out of your hobby account?

"Never despair. But if you do, work on in despair." --Some smart *******

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Karch, don't loose heart, my financials go up and down like a yo-yo, just enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy well - at least that is what I have been doing - seems to help keep me sane and going - - mostly... :D:D:D - - May your deity reward you with abundant blessings....

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Kach, its not selling out, its called earning a living. Sure get a job but still do the cool & interesting stuff for yourself & friends- the people that matter & really appreciate. I just took a job after 20+ years of mostly self employment but still got my own schemes running, I think I'll call my job my schemes subsidy- a matter of perspective & currently enjoying signing out in the arvo & thinking about fun stuff from then on & leave my bosses to worry about chasing the bucks etc, all I gotta do is a nice job & keep moving for a honest days work, its also nice to hang with co workers & make it fun. All the best in your endeavours from Jeff:)

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Perhaps a small vacation is in order- just to sort things out mind you.
    Do you have a sound vessel? Load up the bilges with beer and beans and take to the water. A bit of time away always helps to put things in perspective.
    It's very easy to make more money- no one can make more time.

13. safewalrus

One thing about the beer and beans theory - if it's got a sail you'll never want for fuel -money or not!

14. bntii

bntii Senior Member

YA- a great economy in both instances

:)

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Kach22i

my friend i have been self employed for 30 years

it is one hell of a ride of never ending ups and downs

yet somehow one manages to pull through, the only thing that i find alarming at present is this global village thing.

My country is a fu3kup but the rest of the world is no better

so the only thing that you have got will be the dreams, only problem is the wife and children usually dont share those dreams, which makes a difficult life even more difficult.

I have realised that i have to meet my obligations over the next 5 years and then fu3k everybody and fu3k the entire whole wide world - it is going to be my turn after that, my count down has begun and everybody around me knows it, this may not be a solution for you but it sure as **** is keeping me sane at present.

BTW i will be 60 in 2013 and off to see the world on my CAT :D :D :D

probably alone:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.