help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steve`o, Aug 10, 2009.

1. steve`o

steve`o New Member

hi there

i need some help i`ll explain

ive done the RYA 1 & 2 in the UK and my better sailor course here in the goldcoast australia and what after is some help and guidance in regards to the type/ size of boat that would suit someone with the little experiance i have, i have been down to several boat brokers but get the feeling that they would just sell me whats in stock whether its suitable or not

my idea is to spend the next two years learning to sail in the broadwater ( the boat would be moored at hope island )
    http://maps.google.com.au/?ie=UTF8&ll=-27.647039,153.447418&spn=0.823565,1.157684&t=h&z=10
    and local coastal waters before heading off further a field say all the way up the coast to the top of queensland, rightly or wrongly i`m assuming that a couple of years of mostly weekends will give me enough experiance to be able to undertake a longer trip up coastal waters ( what do you think ?)

to date i`ve seriously looked at two boats that both appealed to me but i may be looking at this all wrong

the first is a 32 foot boat with a mainsail and furling genowa and a lifting keel ( the broadwater which extends from the gold coast to brisbane is very shallow ) it has a draft of 5 foot up to 1 foot 6 inches with the keel fully up

and the second was a 32 foot burmuda schooner ( 4 sails ) with a shoal keel with a draft of 4 foot 9 inches

anyone out there have the time to point me in the right or a completely new direction ?

thanks in advance

steve

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You're correct about boat brokers, they'll sell their mother to slavers to get the commission on a yacht sale. They don't care about you, just the sale.

Skip the schooner, you're not ready for it yet. The centerboard sloop seems "self tending" enough for you, though you've provided very little information about any of it.

The purchase of a yacht is a very personal feat, usually attempting to meet desires and needs, well established in the owner. If this is your first yacht, I'd recommend you consider a smaller boat, learn what you like, don't like and need, then trade up once you've developed some skills and experience.

3. steve`o

steve`o New Member

thanks for your prompt answer mate

info on the boats

lifting keel - http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6589803

burmuda schooner - http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7417233

regards steve

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The most important information is about yourself. What experiences do you have? What are your goals? Your needs, desires and requirements are what governs the attraction and ability of any particular design to fulfill them.

5. steve`o

steve`o New Member

once again thanks,

reading your reply and the points you have raised has definalty helped, its made me sit down and think more about what do i want and why,

in answer to the points raised

experiance - very little, looking at my log book 90 hrs over 5 years
    largest vessel sailed was a 23 foot boat used for the "better sailor" course just completed here in the goldcoast ( the course was 20 hrs using this craft through out )

goal - ultimatley i would like too be able to explore the east coast of austalia
    from here in the goldcoast all the way to the top of qld ( approx 2000 Km ) with that in mind i have given myself the goal to be experianced enough by my 50th birthday ( two years time ) to do this,
    i`m now semi retired and at last have the free time to put whats been learnt in classes into practise and with time gain the experiance needed

needs/reqirements - as most of the time there will only be myself and my wife, a boat that can be sailed single handed, with the ability for sailing shallow coastal waters but big enough to be comfortable for stopping on for more that one night at a time,

most of my friends here in the gold coast who have boats have motor cruisers and whilst its fun going out for the day i really couldnt see myself living with one, i`m at that time in life when i`m not in a hurry to get there and from the limited experiance that i have had with sailboats i find it a very relaxing way of getting from a to b whilst still be able to enjoy and take in the jouney in between

regards steve

6. lat 64

lat 64 Junior Member

ello

Hello Steve,
    I am new to this forum but I saw your post and I had to chime in.

PAR is right. I't really about you and your abilities. Stick with your wife but play the field with different boats for a while.

I saw that the little lifting keel boat is AU$ 45,000. Add ten or fifteen thousand more for fixing and upgrades and you have spent a lot on your first boat.
    I would just rent(hire) for a few more years. You will be able to answer your own question after more time on the water.
    Last year I bought an old boat for sixteen thousand(us$) and have spent about $5,000 more this year on slip fees, parts and more parts.
    I have spent two weeks on the boat and one of those was working on repairs.
    This is about $1,200 a day just so I can say to my friends; "I own a boat don't ya know."
    I'm sure it will get better, and I love our new boat but my point is there is sometimes false economy in buying a boat when you can just step on a clean well maintained bareboat and sail for a while and step off and go home.
    If you buy a boat you will write big cheques anyway:D

We've been to Australia twice now and want to come backā€”love it!

Cheers,
    Russ

7. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Schooling is great, but no substitute for experience. If you are going to single
    hand, you need to look smaller. I single handed a 41' Gulfstar for 17 years.
    I was much younger, and the boat aged me quickly several times.

I think 25 to 30 feet will take care of your needs. Check with the locals and
    see what they are using, and maybe do a day trip with someone if possible.

Don't rush into something!

People go cruising in small boats all then time, all you need is a tent and
    sleeping bag.

Get some time on the water and then rethink your needs. A day sailer might
    be a good start.

Check out some of the Catboats.

http://old.catboats.org/cats4sale/cats148.htm

8. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Steve
    The Queensland coast is a reasonably hospitable place once inside behind Fraser Island and the rest of the way up the coast inside the reef. There is always an island to find shelter behind. The seas can be short and steep but you pull up if the going gets tough (or rough). Average wind strength is 12kts; 25kts through the day and nothing most nights. So if you really want to get somewhere in a hurry without fuss you motor at night.

I prefer deep keel yachts but the Queensland coast is one place where a decent sized cat works well. So keep an open mind on this aspect.

You will learn far more in a season of racing then farting around in your own boat. I do not have much idea on the racing around the Gold Coast as it was more for posers when I lived there. The yacht clubs around Brisbane may be a better option. Manly comes to mind. Most yachties are always looking for good and willing crew. Just a matter of making contact - spend some time in the bar or at the bar-b-q after a race day.

With racing you quickly get to know how hard things can be pressed and what happens if overpressed. At least this is the case with a competitive skipper.

The RL34 is one that comes to mind. They are a capable boat with shoal draft. Rob Legg used to live on Hope Island and the boats were made in Southport:
    http://www.rlyachts.net/index34.asp
    His was moored off his jetty.

MASRM yachts are more performance and made for Bay and inside the Reef:
    http://www.australianboatbrokers.com.au/ed.php?de=51685
    I had a MASRM 720 some years ago and covered an 18nm course in 1.5hours off Mackay. It would be too small for comfortable cruising. The 920 should be OK.

If you have good access to the water and the time to use a boat then it is the best form of relaxation. Having time is the key factor. A good second hand boat in the size range you are after will not be any more than a big sedan car new. With any offer these days start at least 20% below the posted price.

Rick W

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.