Trailerable Daysailer; and the mold popped....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Today was a great day - my buddy Manie came to visit yesterday and today we pulled the mold off the plug and I was one very nervous individual....

Manie came in handy as I let him run proceedings whilst yours truly watched and spent some quality time with my grandson :cool:

Firstly we turned the plug/mold over so we pull the plug out of the mold instead of the usual mold from plug.
    The mold flange parted easily from the plug and then we drifted some wood wedges in lightly around the perimeter of the mold and with big syringes pumped some water into the joint all around - a few cups full. When the gap opened a bit more, out came the firehose and we let the water flow into the void and after a couple of minutes of some snap, crackle pop, she literary popped out of the mold and came out cleanly.
    Yours truly never felt so good....and Manie, better ask him. Anyhow, Manie, thanks for your hands on approach and help - much appreciated:cool: :cool:

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Water in the gap.... clever idea. I'll have to remember that.

Last time I tried this we had about 40 wedges all around, and were lifting the flange with a 5-tonne hydraulic jack... tried the crane, it lifted the plug too and nearly ripped the mould frame off.... demoulding is a royal pain in the backside.

Your mould is looking really nice. Should be able to get quite a few hulls out of that. Have fun polishing it up.... :)

3. Wynand N

From the first wedge went in, to the photo with Manie grinning when the mold popped off, about 28 minutes.

I have to confess though; after the plug was polished, it received 9 coats of ramwax and a pva (red stuff) release agent which is water soluble, therefore the water in the mold trick as it dissolves the release agent as the water seeps in between the plug and mold.

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

And all the time i was thinking:

boy fark this one up and the WHOLE flippen world is gonna see what a stoooopid aassss you is :D :D

but but - as they say
    al's well that ends well

anyway before you bunch think i am going soft
    i am looking for crew again tommorrow :D :D :D
    i will post my findings SOOON :D he he

and as for all the saffas :p
    now you can see my handsome muscular body is ideal for ballast :D so there is only one way for you to prove your miserable oxygen wasting existence
    be at the around the island race at the end of January
    and Wynand and i will TEACH you how to sail around the frikken island

two old fat farts against you bunch of losers :D :D :
    and if you beat us you can have the first dance with the promo bikini girls that could possibily be on our boat :p

so who is up for the challenge
    any noises from Natal ?? he he

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

OK Manie, I'll bring a Gunboat 48 and the ghost of C.A. Marchaj, sound fair? ;)

6. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Nice work fella's! ;-)

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Wynand
    what's up :D

how did you get along with your deck?
    when are you coming to look at the mast "stuff" at Quaterdeck in Jo'burg?

if you are closing for holidays today - ENJOY - rest well

Merry Xmas and best of best for 2009

8. Wynand N

Manie, deck is on the drawing board and will start on the 05th Jan in earnest, even if it means double shifts to complete her by the deadline. Early new year off to quarterdeck for the mast parts and a visit to you.

My boat trailer (big 140hp fishing boat) collapsed the weekend due to saltwater erosion and I spent yesterday building a new one from scratch and will finish it today - will go fishing after the festive season.

Today we shut down at about 13h00 for the xmas season and will open on the 05th again.

'n Geseende kersgety vir jou en jou gesin ook en 'n werklike voorspoedige nuwe jaar vir 2009

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.