Trailer Max. Gulf Islander....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jim_Hbar, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Fred:

I was aware of the Caledon - it is very similar to Devlin's Black Crowns.. but doesn't have the beam. And they are a very small builder... The following is copied from their website..
    As you look through the images on their website, imagine the increase in habitability of a boat with 18 to 24 inches more beam - it all adds to the useful space inside the cabin.. Personally, I'm looking to give up on some ease of trailering, to gain livability on the water.

Look at the space here - of a Devlin 29 with, I believe, a 10ft. beam

[​IMG]

Compared to the interior of the Caledon.

[​IMG]

The extra beam buys a 4 seat dinette, rather than a two seat, and the ability to sleep 4..

The Devlins are built very heavy - the hull on the 30 footer is two layers of 3/8" Okume or Meranti plywood, IIRC. If they were designed in aluminum, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation now..:D

However, I prefer more of a lobster yacht look, with a higher cabin and sole, and a cockpit that is a little more practical for fishing.

I consider this Atlas Acadia 32 to have the perfect style, and the look I'd like to achieve in a build...
    [​IMG]

The cabin just needs to be scaled down 10 to 15% in all three dimensions, and stuck onto the hull that Tad showed us earlier!! :D:D:D

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Personally, I'm looking to give up on some ease of trailering, to gain livability on the water.

That's because you will simply be taking it home.

Contemplate running thru 30+ different state laws , rules and regulations , and you will understand the fixation on 8ft 6 inches and NO PERMITS!

FF

3. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

New design.

Fred:

Check out the "Cutwater 28". From the makers of the Ranger Tugs.

[​IMG]

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

It looks fine BUT the usual measurements will not count the stern platform or anchor platform.

This puts the boat way over length , at least for us.

We want to tow with a 35ft bus conversion, and the more common 65ft state limits count everything , from front bumper to rear end.

A real LOA !!

So far a 24 Bayliner Cierra comes closest to being useful.Ghastly to contemplate !!

And cheap to boot.

FF