Trailer Max. Gulf Islander....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jim_Hbar, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Phil:

Unlike others on forums, I understand that 80% of normal human communication is not contained in the words. It's very easy to misread the intent of the writer when just reading words, leading to miss-communication and stress than we all don't need. If you miss-understood, then I didn't communicate well enough.
    The Kingfishers are built 30 miles south of where we currently reside, and they are quite well equipped as supplied. But they sure are ugly to my eye - as are all of that genre'.

I've (over?) analyzed my needs, and have arrived at a boat I cannot find - thus the thread.. If reality and my actual wants/needs didn't get in the way, I'd get this or something very similar - likely exactly what you read into my initial post - but then I'd need a fishing boat also..

My elder brother has a 43ft. Tolly, and tows an 18ft. Whaler Outrage.. I've re-fined my expectations and wants based on observing him, and the costs that he incurs.. And now he's lusting for a 60ft... Way beyond my snack bracket.

2. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Tad:

The friend's given name is Landy.
    It was a Roberts, at Robert's Creek that I met.. Probably was the fall of '76

I'll buy you lunch when I'm back on Gabriola in the spring.

Jim

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

www.glacierbaycats.com

This boat is not too wide to be towed where you are , and has a good reputation.

A bit pri$ey , but its the ROUND TRIP ,( purchase, operate ,maintain , sell) not the initial cost will determine the "cost" of the adventure.

And its a west coast boat.

FF

5. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Tad:

Again, a little over on the weight, and it needs an enclosed cabin.. Styling is there, however. The plating they call for seems somewhat typical for that size - so can a custom aluminum boat in the 27ft range make the weight requirement, with a diesel engine?

Is an epoxy/ply hull much lighter than AL.?

You show the Berry Point being 3600 lbs - I assume that is dry, and without the engine.. So wet, it should be 5K-ish....
    Based on that, we should be able to add 3000 lbs in "beam", engine, fuel, and a hard wall at the rear of the cabin..

Fred:

From the Glacier website
    2680 Cuddy - Enclosed Hardtop - Towed Weight Dry w/ Trailer (approx) 9840 lbs/ 4463 kg...
    Close on the weight, but wet it will be over the 10,000 lb limit....

Also, I'm looking for a design to build, not a boat to buy..

I'll find a Cape Dory 28, or an Atlas 25 like you previously suggested, or some other similar boat as an interim solution during the build.

Boat in the summer, build in the winter...:D

Jim

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Jim,
    Tad is being way too polite.... why not just wander down the road and get him to design the boat for you? You certainly won't find better, and as he lives in your neck of the woods, he will have an intimate knowledge of what works and what doesn't....

BTW... why the aversion to sterndrives?
    20-odd years ago, there were indeed issues with longevity - mostly in under-maintained boats that were moored in the water. The same could also be said for many other propulsion alternatives of the day.
    The improved efficiency of a sterndrive over traditional shafts more than offsets the increased maintenance requirements in my book. As does the ability to access 'skinny' waterways.

7. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Will:

My current residence is 2 ferry rides and 10 hours away by road.
    If I was on Gabriola, I'd have walked down there already.
    I have to build the shop, and then the house, so it will be two to three years before any boat material get's cut.

The aversion to stern drives largely stems from the space the engine boxes occupy in the cockpit, in boats of the size being discussed here. I have played with Volvo's drive selection application, the results it spits out sure are interesting. But I'm not in full agreement that the new drives are significantly better than the older ones.

What's wrong with a Duo-prop inboard I mentioned in my thread starting post?

Jim

8. Willallison

By duo-prop inboard, if you mean a sterndrive connected via jackshaft to the engine... then nothing... they're a great set-up.
    In fact I used it in this design... http://imaginocean.net/contents/en-us/d9.html

If you mean Volvo's IPS... then that's a whole different kettle of fish

1 person likes this.
  9. texas26

texas26 New Member

trailer issues

chrysler 26 trailering issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to whom it may concern i bought a 26 a while back and need to get it out of the water to fiberglass a spot inside the cabin ontop of the keel ,A friend loaned me a trailer to which when o loaded it it was putting major pressure in the center of the boat almost as it may blow holes in either sides does anyone have a photo of a trailer or specs on the trailers that were designed for a 78 chrys 26 thank you,,,,,

10. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Will:

No, I mean adapting a DuoProp prop set to an inboard engine.....

I've personally not seen an jackshaft stern drive arrangement, but had heard of it. It had slipped my mind, however. Thanks for the memory jog.
    It addresses some of the issues I have with stern drives, and would be an excellent "Plan B".

The stern drive does make for easier trailering, and is nice for the skinny water you mention. However, true "skinny water" is not too common on the BC coast - once the water gets thin, it tends to have lumps in it...

texas26:
    Wrong place to post that...

11. Willallison

:D:DLOL
    I find that the greatest advantage is being able to anchor close to shore ... for all sorts of reasons...
    The draft will likely be less (with the leg tilted) and you can get close without fear of damaging the 'undercarriage'. Of course if there are rocks involved then a healthy dose of care will still be wise..;)

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Stern drive makes the LOA of the package longer , as well as being really expensive , and complex .

Sadly there seems to be a dearth of "pocket Cruisers' in the 25 -27 ft size with simple inboards.

FF

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The weight (or displacement) of a given boat doesn't happen by decree......you have to work at it.......

I don't believe any published numbers because the load condition is not stated, or if it is, it's not accurately related......so published displacement figures might be a rough guide......but probably not......

The boat below weighs 6297 pounds without any crew, fuel, or water aboard, she is 26' by 9'6" and is powered by a D6 Volvo (310 HP) with dual-prop outdrive. Her full load displacement is 8972 pounds, that's with 10 passangers at 140 pounds each, one crewmember at 165 pounds, 900 pounds of fuel and 165 pounds of water........I know these numbers are accurate because I took her lines and measured her flotation myself..........

trailerprofile.jpg

14. Jim_Hbar

Jim_Hbar Junior Member

Tad:

The fixation with weight is due to the limitations of a BC Class 5 drivers license. If kept within the weight limit, anybody can legally drive the tow vehicle once the overwidth permit is in place. Over 4600Kg, requires a commercial class license, or a special heavy trailer endorsement on the Class 5.

So with the people off that particular boat, the weight on the trailer, wet, would be 7400 lbs, which is right where my design needs to be..
    Also, a Yanmar 6LP is also 500 lbs lighter than the Volvo D6. So that particular example shows that it can be done with a diesel, and serves as a notable bench-mark!

And it is also an excellent example of the West Coast aluminum boat style, that I find particularly un-attractive.

FF:
    The Truck/Trailer combination will likely never have an issue with being "legal".. The information I've found shows maximum legal combined lengths of between 20 and 25 meters - I don't believe that this combination will hit 16m. The truck is just under 20 ft long.

I agree, and thus the thread. There are a bunch of designs and boats that have an 8'-0" to 8'-6" beam, and a 24 ft length, and a 3500 lb displacement - then plenty from 28 ft. plus, with a 12 ft beam and 10,000 lb displacement.

Jim

15. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

So far the best compromise for us seems to be

www.caledonboatworks.com/

In the 25 ft size.

It is a Canadian boat so made with more cabin than deck , and speed is what outboard you power it with .

Made for a number of years , so a used unit might be available.

FF