Finding tape

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Saqa, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

G'day
    I need help locating tape that I can use on ply seams. I can buy at a shopfront in Sydney or get delivered to Sydney. The web searches I have run so far is not helping as I am unsure if the tape I am looking at is suitable. Please post some links to items as reply or help locate a store in Sydney who have it in stock

thanks and regards

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Dont know...need to ask a local guy for source.

The common off the shelf marine store tape is marketed by The West system epoxy guys.

Expensive, but available at many marine stores.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/reinforcing-fabrics

The way you make tape is to run a full roll of fabric thru a band saw.

im sure some austrailians can direct you to a source in Sydney

3. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I am going to impose on a relative in Aus to help me access tape. If I put an ebay link here would you be able to help confirm if its ok?

4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

5. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

6. michael pierzga

None of those tapes are correct.

The cloth and tape discription should be..in oz.

12oz. Stitched biaxial 45 45 with no mat backing.

This is an all purpose small boat builders structural fabric for epoxy plywood construction

Tape would be 4 or 6 inches wide.

http://store.raka.com/biaxial1200-12ozwnomat45x-45x6in.aspx

Mat backed cloth fabris and tapes are used with polyester construction, not epoxy they add weight and consume to much resin

Australians use a different language..the fabric may be discribed as double bias.

They will also know biax 45 45

7. groper

groper Senior Member

Atlcomposites.com.au

They have everything you need and ship worldwide.

The tape you want is called double bias +-45 degrees. The weight you'll most likely want is about 450-600gsm ( grams per square meter).

You specify the width, but standard widths are 100mm 125mm 150mm and perhaps a few more. I'd suggest the 125mm or 150mm for your boat. Stagger the layers by 10-20mm if using multiple layers.

Good luck!

8. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

9. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Is one layer of 12oz 6" ok for the seams? Or do I really need to overlap at the seam?

10. michael pierzga

On a small boat with low power one laminate of 45 45 , 12oz eglass is very strong and is typically specified.

As the power and performance of the boat rises a second layer would be added on the inside chine only.

After double taping the interior , if even more strength is need, the next step would be to re calculate the entire laminate schedule of the boat .

Small craft like you are building are not engineered. They are designed to use practcle easy to work with , off the shelf materials

The two inch minimum rule is normally stated for laminates .

The first laminate bonds 2 inches on each side of the joined panel. If an additional laminate is added it overlaps the existing laminate by 2inches.

Some builders prefer to use a three inch overlap to compensate for suspect secondary bonding issues.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

12. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

http://www.boatcraftnsw.com.au/reinforcements/index.html

Came across these guys on the web, they actually located 10mins drive from my folks place in Sydney. That table lists the fabrics they carry. The 100mm 435g double bias tape be the one right?

Is that the same stuff that I should whack on the hull too? Each of my bottom panel is 55cm wide and side panels 50cm wide. That gives me about 20cm or so offcut to make two sets of 4" tape. I think that might be the better buy if that is the fabric for the hull too

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

yes, the 450 g 'double bias' tape is about equivalent to the metrically impaired 12 oz that Micheal suggested for edge taping.

You might like to consider 150 mm wide in some more stressed areas ( keel, impact areas )

You need at least 200 gsm ( 6 oz ) cloth for the hull covering, but 450 gm cloth might be too heavy if you have good quality plywood.

14. michael pierzga

Yup, good call. 6 oz cloth is very versitile and perfect for small carft sheathing

15. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thanks fella. I am in Sydney now, arrived earlier this evening. I got a reply back from that mob saying that the 100mm is out of stock but they have the 75mm and 150mm so all looking good tape wise

I am confused about the hull though. Been sifting through forums and such and still unclear which type of cloth? Plain weave, biaxial or double bias in 200gsm/6oz?

Monday will be fg hunting followed by trailer parts and boat bits at Whithworths! Tuesday stocking up on owner hooks and poppers and Wed flying back to Fiji!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.