Trailer for s n g boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Saqa, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hi guys, would love to hear some thots on trailer tyoe for a ply boat. I am thinking long wide plank skids covered with carpet and keel rollers but I wouldn't really have a clue. I know what works for aluminum and HDPE but I have never trailered a painted hull before

Whats the trick with avoiding scratched paint and warped ply?

I should mention that there is only one ramp in my area of Fiji and its a bloody horrible one. There is a concrete wharf that I always fish from that has a wooden pontoon attached. At high tide the water is almost to the lip of the concrete apron and at dead low about 1.5 to 2m down. I have been playing with the idea of a slide out 5m rail extension with a float on the end. Back up the trailer to the wharf edge, slide out the rail a bit and attach the float, then slide it out over the lip of the wharf on to the water surface. So that it acts like ultra long skid and work without having to back the trailer into the water.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yup...long skids are best. No "point loading ". On the bottom panels as you bounce down the road.

Sometimes its best to shape these long skids while the new construction is still bottom up on its mold.

Carpet is OK. Might be other materials.

One reason why small craft outboard motor transoms must be very robust is the shock load from the heavy outboard hung off the end of the boat when trailering. It really bounces
    around.

Use plenty of reinforcing and structure in the transom area.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.