Historic Home Made Tri

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by rwatson, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This is a bit of history for me - I just came upon a whole lot of photos of a fibreglass Trimaran that I designed, built and sailed over .... 10 years ago (blimey - time flies)

It was going to cost $150, and be finished in 6 months in time for summer. I had no plans, just a few pictures of a Wharram Catamaran.

I used to buy the Poly resin in 2 litre cans from the local hardware shop.

I seem to remember it taking over 4 years ( thru 3 girlfriends) being built in garages, carports and in the open. - and probably cost ~ $3000.

It had a 6hp outboard, a secondhand rig from a Fireball dinghy, and I took it on many trips.

In the end, I had to store it in an open field for $10 per week. It was there for so long that the storage fees were worth more than the boat, so I abandoned it.

Ah - the memories

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Nice boat. Nice memories. I wonder who has it now.

3. marciorflores

marciorflores New Member

memories worth a lot.
    wish i can write my own soon.
    tell us more.
    congratulations.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

It was a lot of trial and error until it worked properly.

I remember cruising towards home one late afternoon, and this 16 knot breeze just off the Port Quarter sprang up. We must have done 6 knots for over 25 minutes - just whizzing along.

Another time I ran out of fuel with no wind, and outgoing tide, and in the path of a passenger ferry. A kind sailor towed us the 200 metres to the landing ramp.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.