Tragedy on Lake George

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Evolution Yacht, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Evolution Yacht

Evolution Yacht Junior Member

I would like to hear some thoughts on what people think. Some real rough calcs. of my own. a boat of that size (approx.) if healed by a wave to 25 or 30dg would have a righting moment of about 40,000 to 50,000 ft lbs. If it threw 10,000lbs of passengers 3 ft off center it would be possible to get the rail under and start shiping water. I would like to hear some opinions because without free surface rolling the boat it would take an unusual situation to cause the accident. SG

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Run your calcs again with the CG at 12" above midships sheer and treat the passengers as a free surface mass. It appears that the boat was overloaded and was somewhat top-heavy. Also, it was reported that the boat was executing a sharp turn at the time of the capsize, so the vessel would have been heeled by centrifugal force as well.