typhoon boat test

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by africa, Sep 25, 2007.

1. africa

africa Junior Member

Hi to all interested in rBBs, As previously stated I managed to nag a test on the TYPHOON boat.The day of the test had perfect weather for a boat that brags it likes abit of rough.The wind was blowing westerly at 25 to 30 knots humping the sea up between garden island and peron point.the waves coming thru at between 2.5 and 3 metres and close together,with the occasional wave breaking in the channel.when Wayne and I first got out there I was just considering running into the throat of the channel and then turning back.I never knew that ali was so light.The boat took waves like a cork.Several times the boat had waves break on the bow and did not even stumble,she just lifted thru and over the top.the first two waves had me convinced that we were going to flip but the boat just sailed on thru like a purebred steeple chaser.So before I knew it we were out of the channel and in the open sea,playing out where the ocean rollers break and for those of you that know the WA coast of Rockingham will know that this can be a nasty place if the weather is up.Running with a following sea on the way back was a doddle and not being used to the boat I fell off the front of a few waves ,I must admit that broaching does notappear to be a major concern with this design and soon I was jumping waves in both directions.Finaly on the run in I gave the boat some juice andlet her run across the top of the waves all the way in.In conclusion Ifound the boat a pleasure to work in rough high seas.the saddle type sprung seatgave fantastic lateral support so that you dont end up hanging onyo the controls like a limpet,allowing you much finner control and it was very easy on the back and legs.Things I would change,I would put two motors on,this is just an african thing,and I would trim the stern a bit heavier,preffering amore bow up profile.
    SO if you are a serious fisherman or fish/boat in rough waters or need to do surf launches,this is a boat that needs to be looked at.
    Being very safety conscious and liking the thrill of playing in the wild waters this is a boat I will be getting.
    regard and safe boating,
    africa

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007