Traditional wooden boats in SE Asia

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lejie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. lejie

lejie Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I've seen a couple of threads on this subject but no firm answers for what I hope to do. I live in Singapore and am appalled at the price of sailing cruisers (compared to the USA) and the limited availability.

I've seen many varieties of traditional wooden boats, and am thinking that I could easily convert one into a sailing cruiser of 30-45 feet. I've seen threads on having them built in Malaysia and Indonesia, but no clear guidelines on how to do this.

So here's the question(s):

1. Can someone give me practical advice on where to go to look into having a boat built?

or 2. Can someone help me know how to go about looking for a currently built boat that can be renovated?

Thanks!
    Steve

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

lejie,

Get the ferry across to Indonesia one day and ask around the boatyards there, it is only a few minutes run across.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.