Traditional Galician fishing boat.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Guillermo, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes, but mostly on the Rias North of Pontevedra.

Beautiful and deserted anchorages give me a different and more pleasant feeling compared with the crowded (but also beautiful) Balearic Calas.;)

Attached Files:

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Nice photo taken from the Ons island. I hope you've enjoyed the delicious octopus 'galician style', of Casa Acuña restaurant.

3. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

Dorna Lovers

Two years ago sailing the Galician coast I fell in love with Dornas. Even though I live aboard a 60 tonne mfv my real passion has always been dinghy sailing. And the dorna is a that perfect combination of a pretty traditional boat and an excellent sailer. Anyway I found a small 4 metre one that was rotten as hell and had chickens living in it, and basically built a new one as an exact replica. It was the perfect size so that I could lift it on board. Now Ive decided i need to make a larger one. The most common size comes out at about 5 metres, though the locals specify the size by the number of handspans the length of the keel is. Allegedly the boats made in Illa de Arosa are slightly larger than others because the carpenter there has bigger hands. Enough rambling. Does anyone know of any resources of plans/drawings etc of dornas? Either internet or books.
    P

Attached Files:

4. Guillermo

Hola, Pirata!
    Have a look at: http://www.gestenaval.com/carpinteria_ribera.htm
    You'll find there links to the books: "Lanchas y Dornas" and "Aguiño: Las últimas dornas gallegas. Proceso contructivo artesanal de la dorna gallega"
    You should also look after the well known Stephan Mörling's book about the traditional boats of Galicia, which is out of print. If you don't find it, send me a PM and I'll try to get for you some photocopies of the relevant pages devoted to the "dornas"
    Cheers.

5. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

Thanks Guillermo, I have looked at Lanchas y Dornas and didnt find it particulary useful. But the Aguino book I am keen to get. I have heard good things of it, and I think its easy to get hold of. Steven Morling wrote lanchas y dornas. Is there another book you are refering to?

On a different subject, do you know the steam ship Hidria II. Based in O grove. They are out of the water in Cambados at the moment and next week I will be there replacing some planks in the hull.

Es mucho barco, no?

P

6. Guillermo

Mörling wrote a very interesting book several years ago. This last one, Lanchas y Dornas is more ethnical than technical. I have the book at the office, so if tomorrow I remember to look for it, I'll tell you the title.

Yes, I know quite well the HIDRIA II. We did the conversion project, switching her from water supplier to passengers ship at our office. We are in Vilagarcía de Arousa, so, if you go to Cambados, maybe we could meet. Compliment Jacobo and Sesé in my name, please.

Cheers.

7. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

In that case I think I have been to your office dropping off some papers with Jacobo.

My real name is simon and I have been cruising galicia for the past couple af years in my Danish MFV Tina Husted. We were in O Grove the winter before last, where I built my Dorna, and this last summer we were anchored off Carril for a few weeks. Maybe you have seen us. I expect to be in Cambados working on Hidria for a couple of weeks from next monday. Come and visit.

Simon
    painted 002.jpg

8. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

My missus comes from Santiago. My Spanish footie team is Deportivo. We went to Vigo with the boat three years ago ( Vigo - home of the worst football team in Spain :) )

Loverly area for a boat, although it can get really rough really quickly..

9. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

I reckon its one the best cruising grounds in europe. As for it getting rough... Well if you like pond sailing theres always the med. If you dont mind the sewage.

Dont knock Celta Vigo, they play for the love of the game not for the winning!

10. Guillermo

Simon,
    I've seen your boat (Very nice!) and Jacobo told me about you. I do not remember having met you at my office, so I'll pay a visit to Cambados.
    See you there.
    Did you built your dorna at Pepe Garrido's premises?

Celta de Vigo, pip-pip-hurray! (Guess where I'm from....;) )
    Cheers.

11. el pirata

el pirata Junior Member

I built the dorna on the quayside, much to the amusement of the old men who would come to watch and issue instruction to this strange englishman building a traditional gallego boat. But Pepe helped me out with this and various other projects I was working on. He is definitely one of the finest wooden boatbuilders I have come across. Sadly if they go ahead with the new marina in OGrove I think his yard will have to close

Simon

12. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Aparently they love the game very much :D :D

I suppose someone has to support them.:rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.