Identify this boat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nerdburn, Mar 2, 2009.

1. nerdburn

nerdburn New Member

I'm a software and interface designer by trade - I just had a boat given to me by a family friend as a project. I'm new to boating.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I've been told it was built in 1936 and is possibly Dutch or German, it's wood, and I can't find an identification number on it.

Any ideas what it is? This is my first post, but since I will be making a major project out of this thing, I'm sure it won't be my last :)

2. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Ned:

Although you haven't found any identifying marks, you could provide an overall length, indication if the rig is masthead or fractional, draft, accommodations and general info that one of our European readers may use to narrow down the search a lot. Things like auxiliary power plant, rigging manufacturer, sailmaker etc. can really speed up identification.

Does the main sail have any class markings? Numbers? Is there a spinnaker?

All these things help a lot.

--
    Bill

3. nerdburn

nerdburn New Member

Thanks Bill - I'll head down there today, take some more photos, and see what information I can come up with. So far I know:

Boat length: 30'
    Sail height: 30'
    Sleeps: 3 - One V bunk and one bed/seat near the left side of the entrance
    Engine: 2 cylindar yanmar

I don't think there's a spinnaker, it seems to have a shallow keel (I've been told), it's quite thin as welll (I've been told), and it's missing the jib sail at the front. I haven't unwrapped the mainsail yet, so we'll see what's on there.

It's all wood, even the mast - the mast has two small crossbeams on it (not sure what those are called).

I'll investigate further, thanks for your help.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The crossbeams you're looking at are most likely the spreaders- they hold the shrouds (those wires between the mast head and the deck) out from the mast. You say there are two of them- do you mean one on each side, or two sets at different levels?

Trying to extend the headstay and backstay above the top of the picture, it looks like the headstay is attached somewhat below the mast head- so a fractional sloop rig. If you have a photo of the boat showing the entire rig, that would help.

The marking on the bow, that we can't quite make out in the photograph- is that her provincial registry number? It's possible that the Ministry of Whatever has some information on her in the file that was created when she was registered. You'll have to talk to the gov't to get the registration in your name anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

5. nerdburn

nerdburn New Member

Thanks Matt - yea, there are actually two crossbeams at different locations on the mast, not just one beam that crosses the mast. I'm on my way out right now, so I'll get some more photos :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.