Larger boat kites??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by snowbirder, Mar 11, 2015.

1. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Looking at the foil/kite thread got me thinking.

I had a $48,000 quote for my rig on my new boat. Looks like sailing is out of reach for a bit.

I have decided to just run as a displacement power cat due to this cost.

At least having a kite would be very simple and less expensive.

What about larger boat, "set and forget" kites? Are there any?

2. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Have you investigated used sails to tide you over till money is not the issue anymore? There is, for example, a place called Second Wind Sails ( http://www.secondwindsails.com ) that popped up at the top of the page with Google and they list some fairly big sails for not a lot.

I'm not saying anything good or bad about them: they just popped up at the top and I'm lazy. Still, they may be typical of prices.

I'm sure some of the ever helpful pros hereabouts have dealt with this kinda thing and have actual opinions about which dealers are trustworthy.

4. snowbirder

snowbirder Previous Member

Thanks. Checking the link and it's the rig thats killing me, not the sails. No way I can get it this year.

5. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

If I recall before specifying sails and just plugging in "marine salvage Texas" I saw a place that had masts up to the 50' range for not all that much. Of course then there's the booms, and spreaders, and...

I think it was Don's.

B.O.A.T. = Break out another thousand ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.