reconstruction of abn's keel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Hoff27, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hoff27

Hoff27 student

Dear sailor,

Wheter a vor70 can still be called a sailing boat or not, i'm trying to pin down the exact design of the canting instalation. You can imaging non of the syndicats or their designers are very willing to disclose their little wonders and results of trail and error. Goal is the instalation on the abn one, since it has encounterd (or reported) the least difficulties, won the race and is the only 2nd generation vor70.

For our study report and personal interest, i'm hoping someone has done a similar report or know a bit of info, so i can reconstuct the machine (on paper that is)

*what are the dimsension of the fin inside the hull, the whole bit from the keel-hull pin to the point where the hydrilics take over.

*The keel swings in two single pins, wich are subject to forces in al directions, who can state the dimesions?

* the fin and rams are made of titanium, but have there been added others components to the metal wich arent there normally in titanium constuction?

*do they use the common A frame between keel pin and hydrolic ram or are the forces directed straight to the hull, or is there some other frame in place, something lighter?

*what safety factors have been used designing the construction, the rules state a factor of three for metal, but maybe juan had other things on his mind?

The report is on high tech materials on the edge. The swing construction cetrainly classies for that. I have found a couple of drawings, but nonsurprising, details never went public, or have they?
    Who can help me with this?

Thanks

Peter Hoff, University of Amsterdam

2. nico

nico Senior Member

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

In reference to the fact that a VO 70 is essentially crippled if it is not running its engine.
    Peter, you will likely have a hard time digging out the data you ask for. Only the yacht's designers at http://www.juanyachtdesign.com/ , her builders and her crew would be likely to know or have access to this information; a lot of money went into the design of that system and I doubt they'll give much of it away for free. Being from a university, though, you may have better luck. Have you tried contacting the boat's designers directly?

4. nico

nico Senior Member

I am not totally sure, but i dont think vo70 are running the engine offshore (all the time). (maybe inshore). Open60s definitly don't (this would require a large amount of fuel).

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

IIRC, the VO70 has two engines. One powers a retractable prop for docking, emergencies, etc. as well as electric and hydraulic systems. The other is only connected to an alternator and hydraulic pump. The hydraulic canting keel requires one of these motors to be running, or else it cannot be canted except by manual emergency pumps (which is very, very slow).

6. Hoff27

Hoff27 student

I already have the cariboni site, it is of some help, but has no details on the abn's construction. Juan k and the abn syndicate both said that info was classified, understandingly.

While informing in and around uni i found many people knew atleast something. I am hoping for the same on the forum.

At this stage, the dimensions of the fin part inside the hull and wich safetyfactors where used during designing will be of great help.

It wil be a nice step towards reconstucting the thing on paper, wich is what i want. The class rules where usefull too

Thanks for any help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.