Mono-coat Epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jazman1978, May 11, 2009.

1. jazman1978

jazman1978 Junior Member

I have been researching epoxy and have found a mono-coat epoxy, see link below. I wanted to get an opinion on this. Again, I am just building a small 'Jon' boat, nothing fancy. It will only be in the water about 10 times a year, any other times it will be properly stored.

http://www.supermarinepaint.com/underwater-mono-coat-SM-2020.asp

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Never seen, never heard of, no idea. But assuming the claims are correct, that should do the trick.
    Question is: is it worth the risk? Is that stuff so much cheaper than a "proper" EP coating and a simple paint?

Regards
    Richard

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's not an epoxy, it's a single part polyurethane. They're allowed to use the word epoxy because they have a few parts of the epoxy molecule within the mixture, but it's not a 3 dimensional crosslinked epoxy, it's a two dimensional polyurethane construction.

Epoxy is rapidly becoming a "catch all" word, much like "varnish" or "Kleenex".

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

For your use get a good quality Rustoleum enamel at home depot should work the same. That is what I use on my dingy and it is still good after 2 years. It is not left in water for long periods. I did not use epoxy because I didn't spend the time to properly prepare surface by sanding.

5. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Par like always is right: mono component polyurethane (expensively priced...).I have no idea how it lasts really. I have been never very satisfied by mono component polyurethane resins (glues) and paints. There has been a fashion with them at the beginning of the eighties. And forgotten fastly.

Dauphin is almost right; if the boat never stays in water and it's well stored in dry and ventilated place a good enamel is enough. But it's better to do a good sanding before and a good priming.

6. PAR

Good quality single part polyurethanes are bested by only the LPU's, in gloss retention, durability, hardness and flow out properties. They're easy to apply, don't chalk up like epoxies and considerably less costly then LPU's.

7. jazman1978

jazman1978 Junior Member

Would a polyurethane be okay to use as a water sealant or primer if I painted over it with a Rustoleum enamel as mydauphin suggested?

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I should have mentioned to sand it, I was too lazy and in a hurry so I skipped it. Something one should never do. The paint however is still not peeling. These new generation Rustoluem Paints have some very good qualities about them. I am painting a complete boat with them soon, I will let everyone know results in a year...

9. PAR

You could, but it' require more paint and you'll have more surface prep for the top coats.

Primer is cheap, use a good, compatible primer.

Painting is 90% prep and 10% actually apply a goo with color in it. Do the prep and poor quality paint will look fairly good, so you can just imagine what good quality paint will look like.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.