'Trad' Steam Launch with lightweight hull

Discussion in 'Materials' started by greg simpson, Apr 13, 2009.

1. greg simpson

greg simpson all steamed up

Hi everyone,

I have drawn plans up for a 30ft by 6.2ft by 3ft steam launch using a lightweight watertube boiler and all fabricated engine, approx 250-300kg of machinery.

I am now at a stage where i'm wondering what materials to use- 15mm concave/convex cedar strip plank with grp sheathing would be the typical material of choice- strong/ fairly light/ easy to build.

I want something that is stronger by around 15-20%- hence lighter by 10-15%, but just as easy to build with, if maybe a little longer build time:?:

Thanks, Greg

2. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I have been rebuilding a 1905 Saunders petrol engined 28ft launch for a while now, A few years ago i took the lines from her and my father in law has built a replica using 8mm Cedar strip. I doubt you would get much lighter unless you go for full on carbon pre preg foam sandwhich construction. The cedar strip will need sheathing with epoxy & glass cloth for stability & abrasion resistance.
    You will find an article on her in the Steamboat association magazine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.