TP52s

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mighetto, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TP 52 Defender

TP 52 Defender Actual Sailor

Frank – I can not address you as an equal, as you are not even close to being my equal (Your resume in sailing is a joke, want to compare with anyone else here?).

I am not a NYYC member sorry – I do know Barry however, and he built several of them. My Tripp 26 knowledge comes from racing them (3 year champion boat).

Carroll marine folding had nothing to do with the TP 52 nor did the Farr yachts sales split (both where business decisions),

The only connection between TP 52’s and IRC is that 52’s have won a few IRC races (As well as PHRF and other rating systems). One TP 52, Patches, has a separate keel config. for when she is racing at home in handicap (IRC) – she still is a TP 52 and measured in for Sardinia – see earlier post to see the current batch of 52’s. Sjambok won Annapolis to Newport under IRC optimized for that race but still measuered in as a TP 52. 3 TP 52’s broke the old record to Jamaica – all in class trim. As to total numbers the class is over 30 now so if you stuck with your 20 bet you have lost.

Not competing nationally how do you figure? Several of the teams I race with have traveled all over the US in the past year (Keel and Dinghies)

You are aware that TP 52’s plane under sail power – unlike your Mac 26 which only planes under power.

Please re-read the section an STARTS you did not comprehend what I posted. You are not a careful reader – and it’s Dick Rose.

TP 52’s have reef able offshore mains and fly all asymmetrical spinnakers (your posts lead me to believe you are not aware either of these facts).

Farr’s last generation of TP52’s was designed for the MED – thus the lower numbers (less wind).

The Melges and the S2 7.9 have retractable keels for traveling – not sailing, they are not centerboards in any form! If you could pull them up while sailing you would damage the boats. A center board is not a form of movable ballast – would you like me to explain movable ballast to you? By the way the melges requires a small deck crane to lift & hold the keel up into the boat. Most retractable keels are for trailering and berthing in shallow areas. By your current def. every sailboat has movable balast - it's called crew. You have a little knowledge in this area and it has become way more than dangerous, simply because you do not understand what you have read.

The Mac 26 has a record of safety? I have seen several articles posted during your discussions that show them flipping and killing people. The TP 52 have a clean safety record also – no one killed or hurt (this is just and example and although it’s true this comment was made in jest).

As to SA – the proof you are banned has been posted – see above.

2. sailsmall

sailsmall Senior Member

Frank has a photo that demonstrates his M26x planing under sail. Let's see that one again Frank. It's always good for a laugh.

By the way Frank... you were BANNED from SA!

3. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

"It is not suprising that many military families own Mac26x cruisers. If the battleship was sinking, its crew would board small motorized life boats that are not unlike Mac26x cruisers. Both vessels have solid foam floatation and hull forms that do well in heavy sea. Owing to sails, the X boats have unlimited range hence betering PBRs. PBRs sported waterjet Jacuzzi fitted engines rather than outboards but both boats are operated at speeds over 20 knots and both vessels pull water skiers. Both were built on the west coast of the USA, the PBRs in Washington State and the X boats in California. A PBR is featured in the dark film Apocalypse Now and the Mac26x in the dark film Tease. Documented Mac26x cruisers can be commisioned by the US armed forces in a time of need and hence the theft of one of them is treated like the theft of any US Navy vessel. The description of a Mac26x as a "fun" boat, ignores the serious functionality portrayed by comparing the vessel with its Spartan interior to a PBR war boat. Solid flotation means there is less worry regarding capsizing. All recreational boats, regardless of size, in sufficient sea, can capsize.

Analysis of disasters at sea usually find that the vessel was unable to recover from a capsize as quickly as it might have owing to ballast shifting. Even so many capsized vessels are later recovered, and there is a growing school of thought that their crew would have also been recovered safely had they not abandoned ship. It is even being suggested that life rafts be banned from ocean cruisers so that crew are not inclined to concentrate efforts on deploying them over seeking shelter in the capsized vessel until weather permits a righting. The Mac26x and m models have a life raft built into them owing to solid flotation. When fitted with a mechanism for blowing or pumping water ballast the ballast tanks are water tight compartments further adding to safety." (Frank's "FOYD" site)

Just makes you want to laugh, doesn't it? But this is quite funny: "Documented Mac26x cruisers can be commisioned by the US armed forces in a time of need and hence the theft of one of them is treated like the theft of any US Navy vessel." So stealing your Mac26 is like stealing a Nimitz-class carrier? Riiiiiiight....

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

MACKID . Are the people who are pushing the idea of no life rafts on ocean cruisers. The direct genetic offspring of the WWI British Air Force that said " No parachutes will be issued to any pilots. It causes pilots to abandon the airplane." I had no idea there was so much inbreeding and drugs in use by the people on the various safety boards.

5. Jim Hauser

Jim Hauser Junior Member

Well Migghie,

You should stop by Elliott Bay Saturday night for the fleet party. 250 of your biggest fans will be congregating at the SYC outstation right by Maggie's. I'm sure there would be lots of people who would love the opportunity to meet you. I, however, still think you deserve a poke in the eye. I have an inside track with the organizers and could get you entered in the race even though you don't meet the minimum requirements. Since you claim your boat planes in 8-10TWS then I'm sure you will fit right in. Nobody would even notice that your mast is their boom length, or that your tacking angle is 110.

So stop on by, and look me up. I'd be happy to show you around and if you ask real humble like, I bet the boat managers would take your wife for a tour of all the boats.

6. mackid068

No, no one that I know of pushes the idea of no life rafts on ocean cruisers... The British Air Force example was unreasonable and unconcionable, but it is irrelevant, because this is a CIVILLIAN vessel and regulations for CIVILLIAN RACERS/SAILORS that we are talking about here.

7. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I vote for stay with the big boat. Unless fire or explosion is about to get you. If you small boat away from the big ship and it drifts miles away. That is where the search planes and ships will stay. Don't release from the big ship till you are sure she is going down forever.

8. fatdog

fatdog " "

9. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I need to check my medication drug interactions. At times lately, Migehtto seems to be making some real sense. ---------------------------NAAAAAHHH, just senility coming on stronger sometimes.

10. mackid068

Cyclops, well, you are a "senior" member.

And in regards to the "staying with the big boat," makes sense...to everyone but Mighetto. A TP52, regardless of the fact that it's bigger than the Mac26, is INFINATELY superior to the Mac26, even for cruising...but if you want a powerboat from the two, get the Mac26.

11. sailsmall

sailsmall Senior Member

Hey Frank. The bow of the Mac is out of the water in the newspaper photo... Is it planing?

...banned...

12. mackid068

Frank: Yeah, it's planing! And going 20 kts. too!
    Everyone Else: SHUT THE **** UP!

13. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Anybody else get the feeling Mighetto is 1/2 of a S & M team and the rest of us talking to him are the other 1/2?? He eggs us on. And we respond. He is in control of us. Bye team.

14. mackid068

Weeeeeell then, why not close the thread?

15. John Clarus

John Clarus New Member

boy is Frank going to love the fact that a deal is in the making for a used TP52 to be sold to a local South Sound Sailor

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.