TP52s

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mighetto, Nov 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

my bad

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Every picture I've seen shows him sailing downwind, maybe not pointed that way, but downwind all the same. :)

3. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

I know that several thing did change in the US after 9/11, I've been in the US and have suffered all the screenings, atc (which I'm OK with, BTW).

Some of the reasons he post, like a sailboat being a burden for a bridge, just don't make any sense at all.... I just don't know why T.H. I keep coming to this thread!!!!!

I think I've said it before, I think F.M. is just running a lab test on us to record massive responses to absurd posts... I'm just not sure whether he's in Psycology or in Psiquiatry...

4. mighetto

mighetto New Member

You are correct about the ballast, we did add 300 lbs of weight to the boat to allow us to keep sails up without water ballast longer. It has nothing to do with self righting. The boat will self right unballasted and has been so tested I have been told; the test was by EU authorities who would not have alowed the boat to be imported otherwise. Our rating includes that extra weight which the manufacture tells us reduces the top end sailing speed from 17 to 14 MPH. It would be cheating to remove that ballast which is in the form of cruising gear, anchor tackle, fuel and of course piss.

Weekend after next we are getting weight measurments on the amount of water in the rudders and canard. The SSSS board member responsible for racing has indicated that as long as a centerline fin is weighted it qualifies as a keel boat and can be raced under PHRF. Water has weight and the water in the canard is all that is necessary under the rules apparently. Regarding solid weight...

300 lbs was chosen simply because that is the amount of internal non water ballast on the Mac26m's which are, inspite of the manufacturer's instructions, often sailed unbalasted with water when winds are less than 7 knots. It seemed a prudent thing to do. I have been assured that this doesn't hinder the possibility of a standard class.

You probably are begining to realize that the Mac26x hasn't been racable until the water ballast protocol was established, that being done only 2 years ago, and only in the Pacific Northwest. Our rating is T for test mode and I doubt the new sail will impact the rating because it is suppose to be the standard size for the class. I did submit it for measurement. I do not intend to ever lie and expect to be called on it if I pass on miss information. But you must see that folks are interested in what I have to say. And I am serious about advancing my sailing career with board memberships at US Sailing and SSSS.

The old Genoa wasn't a full 150 but I used the standard size for rating purposes with the notion of establishing a class standard. We have two tuning partners and the maximum number of puget sound boats that can be expected to race PHRF in this area is 20. Thats 10 percent of 200 active in Puget Sound. There will be a lot of them in the San Juans this summer, perhaps 50 in a race formation being organized but these boats will not carry numbers.

Wish I could say X cruisers were welcome without reservation in PHRF. But right now the water ballasted vessels are fighting the same battle the multihullers still fight. It is allso the same battle the centerboarders still fight.

Frank L. Mighetto

5. mighetto

mighetto New Member

The melges and S2s as well as the F10s remain centerboarders. When Lightning Rod ran his multihull on Olympia Shoal he demonstrated the advantage that all retractable fin vessels have over vessels like the TP52 with fixed fins. Rather than abandoning the race, Rod just retracted the fin and sailed on, no protest as far as I know. He won an award for this feat.

The burden placed on our clubs when the big race boats participate in our venues involves race starting times that are tide favorable to them as well as courses that do not come close to shallow waters. Imagine the strategy of the race committee boat crew that wishes to put TP52s in their place and can select the course that will, owing to shallow water, do exactly that.

Imagine the amount of work we at SSSS did to redo all the bouy courses so that these big boats could race in our venues. Who paid for that. I did as well as others. These big boat operators should be kissing our arses instead of complaining, threatening and otherwise misbehaving.

Frank L. Mighetto

6. DLackey

DLackey Junior Member

Uh...was he actually racing yet or was this pre-start when most people go aground on the shoal?

The award was probably the award of the Olympia Shoal. Nothing to do with anything other than running aground on the shoal.

Syeah. Good luck on that.

7. mighetto

mighetto New Member

Good evening to you. Save me from Gilmore Girls. Argh. Thank God for WiFi. I know not the specifics of what Rod did. He made a point and it is a good one. Fixed keel boats are disadvantaged in areas like ours with tides of 18 feet. That is a burden for race managers as well as a burden for ports like Gig Harbor which are preasured to dredge, that dredging not being necessary and being environmentally unfriendly. If not for preasures put on community leaders by the big fix fin boat operators - influence peddling in otherwords - such dredging would not be done. The main point is that the big fixed fin race boat operators should be kissing my arse for the work I and others did in designing courses that they could participate with us in instead of figuring out bylaw changes and water ballast exclusions to PHRF to rid me an my sister ships from racing.

Frank L. Mighetto
    again thank you for saving me from Gilmore Girls.

8. frankofile

frankofile Junior Member

So Frank, you're saying that a lot of dredging is going on to accomodate the TP52s coming into the Sound? Have you looked into whom the dredging contracts are going to? If what you say is true, there are probably a lot of East Coast connections and big boat industry fat cats scooping up some easy PNW public money along with the mud they're probably disposing of illegally to make the channels navigable for their buddies' outdated sailing monstrocities. Don't bother checking it out because you know I'm right. Question is, what are you going to do about it?

9. Shife

Shife Anarchist

The Melges 24 and 32, the S2 7.9 (the 9.1 and 10.3 are fixed fin), and the FT 10m, are all lifting keel boats (the S2 7.9's keel could also be considered a daggerboard). None of them are centerboarders. Of those boats, only the 7.9 is designed to be sailed with the keel retracted. The Melges and the FT would eventually sink if sailed with the keel retracted due to water sloshing in through the keel trunk. STOP POSTING MISINFORMATION. If you don't know what the hell you're talking about, don't post! You run around claiming to be a "amateur yacht designer" yet you can't figure out the differences between a daggerboard, a centerboard, and a lifting keel. Yet again more proof of your incompetence as a sailor, let alone a "yacht designer". The only burden in sailing in your area is on those who have to put up with you.

10. fatdog

fatdog " "

Mr. Mighetto,

Very simple request (to any average adult)...

Please define the term BURDEN you constantly throw around.

Is it.. time, money, club dues, environmental, regatta fees, etc.?

What specifically is the burden? That is all I want you to answer.

Prove you are capable of answering a simple request for a definition...not a RANT.

Some people think getting out of bed is a burden, I simply want to your definitional parameters of keel/big boat burden.

If you include any issues re: dredging etc. please provide articles, facts, solid data, and/or Army Corps of Engineers cost data/analysis (the agency that oversees all channel dredging in US Navigable waters) to support your definition.

Also if you are in any possession of any SSSS data that supports your theories (which I am sure you are due to your former high ranking position with said institution) please share it here.

Please also advise specifically how these "burdens" have affected you personally and financially in your day to day life. (please provide invoices, tax returns etc.)

Thank you in advance for what I hope and pray to God & baby Jesus will not be a rant, but a concise, straight to the point, and mentally stable reply.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / .... .- .--. .--. . -.

11. frankofile

frankofile Junior Member

He can't do it.

12. DLackey

DLackey Junior Member

- --- - .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. ..- . / -.. ..- . .-.-.- / .... . / -.-. .- -. .----. - / .--. .-. --- ...- . / .- -. -.-- - .... .. -. --. .-.-.-

13. fatdog

fatdog " "

..Nice

14. mighetto

mighetto New Member

When Hillery takes charge you are toast:) She is advised by the same company advising US Sailing. Top down decision making.. plantations.. what a hoot. God bless MLK.

Frank L. Mighetto

15. Shife

Shife Anarchist

And yet again Frank responds with incoherent babble.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.