Tow Tank Model Build?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by freeski27, Oct 13, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

One of the world leaders* for decades is not a big player, ah come on Crag?
    *(in the commercial world)

I was not advocating the CNC method btw. it is just the simplest way, assuming you have a proper engineered 3D model already.

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Please read what I said. I know their reputation in the commercial world, but this discussion was about models for testing yachts.

Again your view of what is 'simplest' is a wooly concept. I agree it will get a model made but the capital cost is for big models is huge, the time cost is huge, the finishing costs are huge and the accuracy after finishing is surprisingly poor.

If CNC carved models were 'better', then they would be used in our projects. They are not and for good reason; the model makers make them better and cheaper. An unbeatable combination.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A model with less moment of inertia may peform better in the test with waves. It will not correspond to the full size boat.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

And please Crag donĀ“t overlook that I said I am not advocating CNC milled models!
    They are just dirt cheap, when you have the CNC required data already on your computer. (and for VLCC usually sufficient).

Regards
    Richard

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Cut sections from wood and plank with small strip of poplar, with instant glue. Fast accurate and cheap. Fair with 60 and going down to 220, paint with primer and two coat of normal yacht paint.
    Three feet should take you in total a week of work.
    Don't forget to respect the weight and weight distribution, light and loaded.

It is the way I do my models, doesn't mean its the best way :D

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.