Tow Car face off - Vogue vs Cayenne

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by freddy147, Nov 29, 2012.

1. freddy147

freddy147 Junior Member

Hi what's the boat you're suggesting? I'm only on an iPad so can't view your site without flash. Cheers

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Freddy 147, you want advice on 2 heaps of crap and when you don't like it you call people **********.what a ******.

1 person likes this.
  3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hi Chis, why would anyone want to do that when there is a 12 year old with an I pad right here.

Is this a Remote radio controlled boat.

4. freddy147

freddy147 Junior Member

I am genuinely sorry for writing this.

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

A Porsche forum may welcome you,or not. Ask them.

Go away.

Frosty-have to spread some around...

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Yes - have to try to fix that....

I imagine it would probably be too big for you, with a beam of 2.8m it can be towed without restriction in most states of Oz, but does require you to display 'oversize' signs front and rear and a flashing light.
    It's a very different boat to the one you are presently considering....
    Feel free to PM me if you want further info

Attached Files:

7. Don H

Don H Junior Member

Freddy, I frequently tow a boat of 3400kg on a tri axle trailer although it is with a Ford pick up. Not your choice of vehicle but someone might find the info worthwhile. When I bought the boat I spent a lot of time researching weight regulations. Now days you have to keep within the rules or your insurance is worthless.
    The 4 winns 258 you have chosen has a weight of 2780kg, an aluminium trailer to hold this boat will weigh around 700kg so you have a total of 3480kg before you fill the 265l fuel tank or the 70l water tank.
    The Range Rover, Porsche, F250, Landcruiser, Patrol etc are all classed as light vehicles with a Gross Combinational mass greater than 4500kg.The maximum Gross trailer weight allowed is 3500kg.
    The 258 on trailer is bordering going overweight for any of these vehicles to tow and that’s provided you keep the tanks empty. The F250 is really a 4500kg tow capacity but is downgraded to meet Aus regulations.
    Note that the 258 has a beam of 2.6 meters so it is already oversize as the max width allowed is 2.5m. You can get a permit for a recreational boat towing permit but there are restrictions on where and when you can tow it.
    Both the Range Rover and the Porsche has 3500kg tow capacities and to their credit unlike some manufacturers they have rated the GCM as the sum of the GVM and the towing capacity. From the engine specs the Range Rover would appear to be slightly better in that it has slightly higher HP, around the same torque and better suspension for load levelling.
    However neither is suitable for towing this boat. Range Rover and Porsche rate the maximum Tow ball weight at 150 and 140kg respectively. The general rule of thumb is to put around 10 to 15% of the Gross trailer weight on the tow ball. The reason for this is to reduce the amount of sway the trailer can get due to road conditions. Since the weight is up at the maximum allowed in Australia there will generally be up to a max of 350kg on the tow ball. If you look at any of the towbars on landcruisers, Patrols or Fseries you will see a max tow capacity of 3500kg and maximum tow ball weight of 350kg stamped on the plate.
    To even try towing 3500kg with only 150kg on the tow ball is asking for trouble. If 3500kg on 4 wheels all pointing the same direction starts to sway too hard a vehicle with a bit over 1000kg on the back wheels will not win.
    You mention trailering the boat to save on mooring etc, keep in mind that this size boat will require submerging the trailer and i'm guessing in salt water. This size trailer has brakes on all wheels, a breakaway setup and at least 4 sets of bearings. Every time those warm bearings from the trip back into cold sea water they try to suck some water inside the hub. Constant maintenance is required.
    You don’t sound short of money so get the vehicle you want to drive and put the boat in a dry storage marina, ring up an hour before you want to go out and they will put it in and fuel it for you. When you’re done let them put it away again. It will probably work out cheaper than all the towing drama.

Thanks Don

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.