tow boat like hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by woodchuck, Nov 27, 2008.

1. woodchuck

woodchuck Junior Member

I want plans for a small (24' or less) hull designed like a tow boat where the shaft goes straight out through the hull parallel to the deck and the prop is higher than the keel to protect the prop. I would like to mount an outboard on a transom plate solidly and steer with a rudder behind the prop. That should allow for a very small opening in the fantail, deck or what ever it would be called. Like a tow boat the hull would protect the prop from oyster beds and bottoms in general. Any suggestions?
    Chuck2

2. captword

captword Junior Member

what is your real goal with this boat? a cabin or all open, where do you operate the boat? have you looked into jet drives? they can be hidden under the fantail

3. woodchuck

woodchuck Junior Member

I want a cabin. I live near the intracostal in Texas and want to travel it as well as fish several bays where shoal water is frequent. Past experience with jets has not been great and would prefer prop.

4. captword

captword Junior Member

look at this utube vid , he has done smaller versions too, he did it first on a boat the size you are looking to build and that may be forsale, the boats now over a year old and made it to the bahamas and back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U60rx06Dmtk

5. woodchuck

woodchuck Junior Member

I think he is on to something there. Great protection for the prop. Out of a retired teachers range but really neat. An outbaord in the tunnel would probably work since I am interested in a displacement hull and not speed. I also don't want to give up space for an inboard.
    Thanks for the address.
    Chuck2

6. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

You could look at some of the Atkin Seabright hulls, some of them liek Everhope, Little Water and Rescue Minor might just be what you're looking for.

7. woodchuck

woodchuck Junior Member

thanks will do

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.