Designs similar to Couta boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 23feet, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 23feet

23feet Junior Member

Loved the video of the Couta boat on Off Center Harbor. Does anyone know of a similar contemporary design - 24 - 26' open boat, beamy hull and center board?

Thanks.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A Raven might be in a category near, but not exactly, what you want.

3. 23feet

23feet Junior Member

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the Raven design. Interesting but I was thinking more sedate, perhaps heavier displacement.

4. joz

joz Senior Member

Have you thought about an American Cat Boat which is somewhat similar to a Couta Boat or have you thought of purchasing a couta boat (new or second hand) and having it shipped to the US.

5. 23feet

23feet Junior Member

Great idea - the 22ft Marshall is a nice looking boat. I've always been a bit put off by Cat boats because of the big sail, pointing issues, and the weather helm. I sail on SF Bay so there is often 20 knots true on summer afternoons, and I berthed beside a guy with an 18' Marshall for a while, and he said it didn't point well and was a beast with weather helm when the wind was up.

6. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Are you looking to buy a going concern with no work needed, or to build a boat, or to modify an existing boat?

Just off the top of my head, if you're looking for a solution that could use an existing US hull it should be possible to re-rig a catboat as a sloop. I know the New York Bay sloops were sailed as cats during winter, by use of a second mast position. So perhaps buying a catboat with a sound hull and a knackered rig would be a way to start.

The other point is has this other bloke heard of reefing? If he's finding weather helm a problem in strong winds, that implies he may not be reefing early enough.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.