Touchsceen Maxsea

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by michael pierzga, Dec 30, 2012.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A client has asked me to purchase a touchscreen tablet type computer , install Maxsea software then fit onto a cabin bulkhead.

It sounds simple enough. I know nothing of computers and electronic gizmo's.

Who makes the biggest screen ,best quality , touchscreen tablet that can run Maxsea software

http://www.maxsea.com/products/software/timezero_explorer

for Admirality Raster scan charts.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Maxsea runs on Windows XP/Vista based computers. At the moment there are only tablets with Android and Windows CE (very rare) and of course the Apple toys.
    Your client should wait a few months: Windows-8 has support for touchscreens, so there is a whole lot of new tablets and notebooks in the pipeline.

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The largest screen touchscreen tablet is a Sony Vaio Tap 20

3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3517U (1.90/3.00GHz)
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Features: 20" LED backlit IPS touch display, 8GB RAM, 1TB (5400rpm) HDD, Intel® HD Graphics 4000, wireless keyboard & mouse, USB 3.0
    Estimated ship date: 01/03/2013
    $1199.99

It's 1.5" thick and the battery lasts 2 to 2.5 hours powering that large touchscreen. Weight is 11.46 lbs; it isn't waterproof.

Attached Files:

4. michael pierzga

Hmm.

The Christmas Holiday means that I cant call around to see if Maxsea software is the best choice for a wall mount Chart plotter touch tablet.

Maxsea was only chosen because the client is familiar with it. Any software that supports Admiralty Raster scan charts will work.

The sony says Window 8 . Window8 is not mentioned for Maxsea system requirements ?

I assume the keyboard is just an optional periphery

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Windows has an on screen keyboard that works similarly to the keyboard on ipads and android tablets.

Windows 8 should be backward compatible with windows 7, Vista, and XP software.

6. michael pierzga

Hmmmm.....

There is a Sony dealer in town. Perhaps I should swing by and investigate

7. michael pierzga

And also.

What is the best way to operate a " laptop " internal battery computer continuously.

You remove the battery and run off of a 24v 220 inverter ????

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

No,leave the battery where it belongs, the power supply must "see" the battery to properly regulate the output voltage. You can tell the set-up program (BIOS) to close down when external power is not present.

9. michael pierzga

I see....the laptop senses AC power and stops charging.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.