Torqeedo or Oceanvolt

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by jorgepease, Aug 30, 2016.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Does anyone have in depth knowledge of these two companies. They both have systems for cruising cats. Torqeedo's online presentation is much more elegant.

It seems Torqeedo is more expensive than Oceanvolt, are they a better system?

Thanks

2. Munter

Munter Amateur

My experience with Torqueedo was a bit disappointing. Admitedly it was with one of their earlier models but I found the lithium battery pack had failed after very little use. It died while in storage in a temperature stable room and after having been charged. According to Torqueedos self-discharge figures it should have still been at well over 70% charged but was completely dead. Perhaps things have improved since then - as I mentioned, this was an early model. I have no experience with Oceanvolt.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For high speeds either might be OK,

I would borrow a cheap 12V or 24V trolling motor and see how the boat performs at 1/5 -1/10the price.

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I read a few threads about some issues with the early models. Mostly good reports on them now.

I should mention this is for a 50' cat and the systems I want to compare are Oceanvolt SEA and Torqeedo Deep Blue. These are the Hybrid systems. Oceanvolt shows their system able to generate quite a bit of power while under sail Torqeedo has that awesome computer display, nice but at what cost.

Torqeedo isn't very chatty, when I asked a question, I felt like the response was almost patronizing. Same at boat shows, I must look poor lol but I will overlook that if they are the cats meow.

On the other hand Oceanvolt is being used in quite a few boats, that speaks a lot.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.