Shrimp boat trawler conversion.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by babygirl, Mar 19, 2012.

1. babygirl

babygirl New Member

Interested in opinions/insite regarding converting a (small) classic nearshore " shrimp boat" for use as a recreational / liveaboard trawler. With retirement in sight, I have been casually investigating different boats in the 40'-60' range to use as an inshore / nearshore trawler - part time liveaboard for two . With so many of these little workhorses being mothballed because of the hardships of the industry and having always admired the classic lines and grace of Shrimping fleet of the SE USA , I am considering a refit conversion for my intended use.( glass or glass/epoxy over wood hull ) I realize draft may be an issue for inside cruising . My concern is with all the rigging, winches ect.... removed , the deck house extended aft and below deck space converted to non commercial use. Would this have a negative effect on the " attitude " of the displacement hull. I realize there are many additional factors/concers that would go along with such a project but this seems like a good place to begin a discussion. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. J Feenstra

J Feenstra Junior Member

Removing weight without checking the shift in LCG can effects the handling of the ship, but if you can counteract this problem, this trawler idea can sail a long way, cause trawlers usually were build to last.

3. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

This is a pretty common conversion, if you can get your hands on one, St Augustine trawlers make a bunch of 80 footers in fiberglass for Singleton Shrimp back in the 80's that would make a sweet conversion.

I wouldn't worry about trim too much for your intended use. The range of loading for these vessels is pretty wide and I can't imagine a conversion making one "too light."

You may also want to take a look at this discussion about the same thing we had aways back:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/motorsailers/conversion-shrimp-trawler-37168.html

Steve

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It's quite viable and a good way to get a lot of boat for short money. I looked at doing the same, but my personal preferences steered me to continue sailing. The biggest obstacle to the conversion for me was the cost per hour to run one. They don't have many set up as true trawlers. You will find huge engines. I'd get a good steel one though. There are lots to choose from, though many south Americans have picked through the market already.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, babygirl.

The biggest obstacle you may encounter is getting the smell of dead shrimp out of the boat. Give it the sniff test before putting any money down.

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

No question about it. I think you have to gut, pressure wash and sand blast the whole interior before you can rebuild a yacht inside.

8. topbog

topbog New Member

Thanks for the input, The odor factor is a concern without question !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.