Topcoat tape lines

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gtflash, Jan 24, 2019.

1. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

I have an external polyester repair to do. Then I intend to flocoat/topcoat in white.

My concern is a simple one. How do I achieve a good tape line with topcoat. Can I also get a tape line with the grp, I have a habbit of getting poor edges.

Thanks

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You can get tape for the purpose of minimizing the lines. Check with the automobile paint supply stores. 3M and others make tapes specifically aimed at the problem.

3. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Senior Member

3m 401+ tape will deliver a sharp line, IF it is properly knifed down. You need to make sure the surface is degreased, clean, and dry, apply the tape, then smooth the tape down with a plastic spreader or putty knife.

4. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

I have never smoothed tape down with a spreader. Great idea. I presume I then remove tape while gel is wet too. Like paint.

Thank you

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Tacky but not still wet.

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I teach my apprentice painters to lot lay down the critical edge tape first. First secure broad masking film or paper leaving approximately 1/2 inch exposed along critical lines. Then tape with a second strip of tape mashed down well. This allows the edge tape to be pulled between coats and any seepage to be cleaned before hardening.. A paper towel or thin cloth dampened with appropriate thinner then folded over a putty knife easily removes minor bleed. Retaping is much faster than remasking.

When priming, I like to slightly over tape (into paint zone). Then I can retape to final line so edge of primer is covered.