Top U.S. Yacht Construction companies?

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by yachtivs, Feb 12, 2013.

1. yachtivs

yachtivs yacht painter

Hello everyone,

I'm considering a move to the U.S., as the yacht construction market here in Greece has all but disappeared entirely. After having found a few job ads on the internet, I thought it might be best to consult experienced workers here on the forum that may know which shipyards are reputable and which ones to stay away from.

I've been involved with yacht construction for over ten years, specializing in yacht painting. I would really appreciate some wise insight on where it might be best to search. I'm a Greek married to an American with no issues regarding work visas and what not.

Would really appreciate any information you all may have.

Thank you and God bless!

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Dont know.

The US superyacht market is small and just like every yacht center the economy is bad. Countless small yards in the US.

I understand Rybovich has hired Peter Bergsma , Netherlands, to manage the superyacht paint division. Might be worth sending a resume.

http://www.superyacht-refit.com/ref...oins-rybovich-shipyard-as-vice-president.aspx

Keep an eye on Pro Boat magazine.

http://www.proboat.com/classifieds.html

A European could be very valuable in the US. The ability to sell work in Europe that will be performed in US yards .

Might be worth a try

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Trinity in New Orleans is one of the best mega-yacht builders. You could check there.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you then a US permanent resident?

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Front Street Shipyard in Belfast, Maine was established in January 2011 and they have been growing faster than originally planned. Lastest announcement is the addition of a 485-ton (US) mobile hoist which is expected to be in operation by August 1. They have started the permitting process for a 24,000 sq ft building which the new hoist fill fit inside. They have some positions listed on the Contacts page of their website. http://www.frontstreetshipyard.com/

6. tomas

tomas Senior Member

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Jobs are still mostly who you know or contact.

8. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Try MacGregor Corporation and see if you can convince Roger to restart production of the Mac65-70, best fiberglass boat ever built. Im sure they have slowed down as many builders of pleasure boats have, the 65 would be an excellent fill in. When the 26 took off the 65 was completely forgotten, not sure what it would cost today but even if the price was tripled from its cost in the 1990's, it would still be a bargain compared to similiar sized boats.

9. yachtivs

yachtivs yacht painter

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all of your advice it has been really useful. I've been researching a lot of the companies that you have all suggested and even contacted some of the shipyards which have showed interest. Right now filing paperwork for my Residence Permit.