canting keels...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by seamonkey, Sep 29, 2004.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

as a dinghy racer,,I've never particularly liked healing...and don't feel it's really very efficient,,,I guess others would agree,since canting keels now seem to be entering the high-perf sailboat scene with gusto!
    How do these work.....any links to view make-up,,,pictures,,,,designs.??....thanks!

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

SeaMonkey,
    I have to ask, are you really a Brine Shrimp? :) (If in doubt as to whether that was an insult - No, it wasn't)
    CAnting keels are not really there to "stop" heeling, but to provide more Righting Moment. All that means is that you can carry more sail for the same angle of heel. As far as efficiency goes, many boats (especailly the fat/flat Open class boats, actually sail faster with more heel, since their waterlines get narrower as they heel.
    Pictures, etc? Well, I don't have a thousand words, but I'll try. Imagine a keel fin that comes inside the boat, with a large pin/hinge aligned with the bottom. At the top of this fin (let's say 3 feet above the hinge), there will be a hydraulic cylinder or a block and tackle, depending on the size and weight of the keel, which will be able to swing the keel from side to side.
    Simple, non?

Steve

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

........just add water ,,,it comes alive!!!
    yeh,,,I understand the 'keelboat dynamic' ,but rather not heel!
    Yes I imagined the general layout you describe,,,but there must also be some form of gasket,or sealing to prevent the ocean from finding it's way into the boat!?

4. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 Anarchist

they use compressed air to stop the water coming into the boat

5. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

.......but seriously,,,,,folks...........!

6. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

The mechanism goes in a big triangular box with a lid. Takes space, but if the top is above waterline, you can pop the lid for repairs underway, and still stay dry :)
    Steve

7. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

hummm--nasty space-taker,,,and a fair volume of H2o in that 'V' ,I'd imagine.--any detail shots or drawings to be found of the box/hinge mechanism/etc?--then I can ask less silly questions!!

8. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 Anarchist

they use compressedair on skandia to keep the water out. its not ********, i know this cause the boats from my yacht club

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

canting keels

Check out post #9 under this thead:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4811
    There are all kinds of ways to seal a canting keel .Among the most effective uses a sort of module into which the keel is inserted. A portion of the module extends forward or aft thru watertite seals to allow a lever to be attached to rotate the keel manually, hydraulically or electrically. Simon Rogers has an excellent patented design that allows the canting keel to retract as well as move fore and aft; this is a real plus on the Mini's this system was first used on. Some systems have a slight disadvantage from a wetted surface perspective in that they have a "bump" on the bottom to allow room for the keel to pivot; other designs have eliminated this bump.
    But as I mentioned in the post referenced above the MOST important consideration in using a canting keel is the type of extra lateral resistance you will use as the keel cants.. My favorites: CBTF for performance. kFOIL for room in the boat in cruising applications or on boats where upwind work is not at a premium.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

..........any chance you can sneak in there and take a few pictures?--that'd be worth many 1000's of words!!.........cheers!

11. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 Anarchist

mm, not really, as skandia is going over to asia & i'm hopefully movin up to new south wales & will probably be up in new south wales before skandia gets back to the club, so, no there is no chance, but i assure you that is how they do it.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey Junior Member

well-it would sure be great to see any pics/drawing links available!!.......thanks

13. yachtie2k4

yachtie2k4 Anarchist

14. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

This is a setup I used for my Pac30 design

Attached Files:

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Canting keel "module"

Simply fantastic-great design!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.