top-pivoted leeboards

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Skippy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I've seen several "egg" shaped leeboards (the traditional ones) that pivot at the upper end of the board. There's only one board on the boat, and I'm pretty sure it's permanently attached to one side. How does a board like that work when it's on the weather side? The upper end is attached through the pivot, but I thought pressing against the hull kept the board in place when it's on the lee side. I don't see how it avoids getting pulled away from the hull and damaging the pivot when the pressure on the board is away from the hull??

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Skippy,

Go back and check again. I'm sure you'll find two leeboards. For the rest you're correct. The one on lee is pressed to the hull and kept in place. While going about the lee side is pulled up and the weatherside one is lowered.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Skippy,

Size depends largely on the amount of sail carried and the amount of underwaterbody of the craft. Body above waterline can also play a factor.

On the egg-leeboard picture you can see the top of the leeboard just rise above the gunwhale. There are two!!

Did you know that in Holland there are vessels up to 35 mtrs sailing with leeboards?
    It's very typical for Classic Dutch crafts (fishing and small trade).

5. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

The mounting brackets look small. Thanks for the info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.