New and confused

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jamtobs, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

Hi all I am new and lacking all knowledge when it comes to the ways of the water, however my brother and I decided to buy a boat as a project and eventually fishing.the boat itself is 16ft with renovations from previous owner.The plan is to gut and skin ,take of the wardrobe (wheelhouse) ,re-finish and a-hoi shipmates (I bet its not so easy).
    Any advice would be most welcome.
    (I can't seem to attach a pic,the link does'nt work)

2. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

Here's the pics

Attached Files:

3. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

We are thinking of sanding the whole boat to get a better finish is this good,bad, indifferent? I know it is a lot of work but worth it I would imagine.

Then we will patch up any cracks or dents etc...

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

how much money you plan on spending,,,,,,,and i know you say you know how much work its gonna be,,,,but,,,,,just at a fast glance,,,you may be investing enough time and money to actually build a way bigger boat,,,,,you need to search for all the fiberglass threads,,,,,,,there is SO MUCH to do your fix,,,that it will take people a while to want to write a novel for ya,,hehe. ;)
    and welcome to the forum :D

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I would advise you this cut some large freeing ports into the transome, with flaps on them,, carry plenty of lifejackets and stay in sheltered waters,
    Raise the door sill
    when in head and cross breezes she will lay to windwards, but hey HAVE FUN LADS, good fer you

6. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

The fun begins

This eveing we started to gut the poor dear with more heartache than joy, ah the fun begins......

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.

I would like to post pictures,ideas and not forgetting plenty of Q's throughout
    the rebuild, am I posting in the right place?

7. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

I reckon we will be investing enough money to buy a very decent used boat and enough time to finish my relationship with my sibling,
    but worth both for the sheer craic of it.

We did'nt want the hassle of design so we decided to buy a near wreck and strip it to its shell and start there......Maybe I will regret that one!

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

alrighty then,,,,just didnt want ya to think 2 thousand bucks should be nuff,,hehe,,, and ya your posting in right place,,i think,,,not sure, but it really dont matter,,hehe :D;)

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and before your gutting goes to far,,,,,start bracing it NOW,, get it level,,and brace EVERYTHING,,,,cause just a little twist or variation means ALOT when ya chugging along,,hehe ;)

10. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Awesome. Any sissy can read books and learn software applications. Takes guts to dive in like you are! You're gonna learn tons. Best of luck!

11. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

Update

O.k. so we got the wardrobe of the top and took out 95% of the wood.

We have discovered a few cracks no biggy. Someone did however butcher the seats for access to put foam in for buoyancy no probs.

We intend to shorthen the width and heighten the seats in the cabin at least, fibreglass and ply I suppose.

The pictures show before and after gutting

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

you better brace where you took the cabin off,,,,it doesnt seem much now,,,,,wait till its time to refit and make things once you get a 1/4" twist up there.,,,,and go around and brace everything else,,diagonally,horizontal, and vertically.,,,its an hour of hammering to prevent you DAYS of headaches ahead ;)

13. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

Cheers for the heads up I will get on the case we are just waiting for a cradle.
    I imagine it will be fairly o.k. for the short term,fingers crossed.

We are talking about taking the seats out of the cabin and replacing them using fiberglass, anyone with experience molding or seatfitting with fiberglass,any notions??

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Now were having fun!! Yep, you are in the therapy stage right now, The real work comes when you start to put it back together. First rule, Don't throw anything away no mater how nasty it looks. You will be shell shock when you go to the local chandlery to buy a replacement and you see how much that dirty thing cost. Clean, polish, restore. 2nd rule, don't take shortcuts. Do it right. Your life and your loved one's life can depend on it. If it cost money that you don't have-wait until you have it. If it is something you don't fully understand ask the guys here, but do it right.
    Good luck and have fun, don't be in a hurry to finish it. Enjoy the "getting there"

15. Jamtobs

Jamtobs Junior Member

Sound advice Kaptin'. We belive in doing it right or not at all.

The seats have me a pondering day and night, I am having dreams about cabin seats ,I have ideas but nothing concrete.
    Has anyone out there done a similar build installing new seats and buoyancy?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.