Top 10 practicing naval architects / yacht designers ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

If you had to make a list, who would you say are the 10 most significant and interesting naval architects and yacht designers practicing in our time?

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Michael Peters and Harry Schoell would both be on my list.

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Gino Morelli, Dick Newick, Ian Farrier, Nigel Irens, John Shuttleworth

4. Gades

Gades Senior Member

If marketing counts, Ed Dubois would be there as well (in my list).

5. Guest

Guest Guest

A man by the name of Willis I. Hudson would definitely be at the top of my list. A graduate of Rose Hullman in the field of engineering, this man single handedly revolutionized the boating industry in the late forties when he began building boats out of a new material called fiberglass and resin. Willis Hudson was the designer and owner of Falcon Boats in Houston, Texas as well as the brains behind the most advanced design for shallow water boats today, the Shallow Sport. Shallow Sport Boats of Texas out of Port Isabel, TX is currently owned and opperated by Willis' son Rex Hudson. Recently Willis Hudson was the recipient of the lifetime achievement award from the 2001 Boating Trade Assocication for his major contributions to the boating industry. Today, nearly every boat in the world is constructed from this durable material. I give my thanks and appreciation for this man's contribution to my business. You can see his designs and read more about Shallow Sport at www.shallowsportboats.com

6. trouty

trouty Guest

Phil Curran Naval Architect

King of the kit boats, and mega yacht designer downunder, has led the way in light materials engineering particularly CNC plasma cut alloy for mega yacht manfacture....plus I can attest - he's a heck of a nice bloke.

[​IMG]

CDM Computer Design Marine

You could also add Gavin Mair to the list.

Prior to them... Len Randal.

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.