Tools, Jigs, Benches, etc.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Pat B, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Pat B

Pat B New Member

I'm looking to start building my first boat sometime in the next few months (I'll probably start in early to mid fall). I think I've decided on one of Devlin's duckboats, probably one of the Black Brants. I'll be building it in my shop/garage (3-car, but it's never seen a car). Though I won't begin building for a little while, I'd like to start gathering up what I need between now and then. Other than a plywood scarfing attachment, are there any other tools that I would need which wouldn't be found in a decent woodshop? How about jigs - are there any I might need that I would be able to construct ahead of time. Last question - should I go to the trouble of building a "bench", or cradle, or whatever shipbuilders call their working surface? Are sawhorses enough, or will I be asking for headaches without a large stand?

Thanks for any input.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

When it comes to jigs, you'll find that making them as you need them is the best way to go. There are all sorts of jigs for different processes and tools, each setup for a specific use. I just disassembled a scarfing jig I used on some rib repairs. I'll soon make a new one for the planking scarfs. It would be nice to have a very adjustable one for many thicknesses of stock and angles of scarf, but it's more engineering then I want to commit to the thing.

There are scarfing attachments you can buy for a circular saw, but I find them not as exacting as the jigs I make for use with a router. I've also made boring, rabbiting, beveling, dovetail and many other types of jigs as the needs come up. You don't really know what you need until you start whacking at the wood.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good set of chisels, you'll use them a lot. Learn how to put a good edge on them, as this skill will help with other edged tools like the plane, knives and blades.

You'll want clamps in several styles, though I find I'm grabbing the sliding bar clamps most often for the ease of use. The construction method you need to build the boat will require different clamping needs. Personally I have several dozen clamps of assorted styles, including many I've made. Some construction methods require a bunch of clamps, mast building and laminating also require a bunch, so get some clamps, but you'll find, just like everyone else that you don't have enough or the wrong style or reach, so you'll be buying and borrowing more as the project wears on.

A good table saw, router, saber saw and compound miter saw will get you started. You can buy a table for your router, but I built mine. A shaper, thickness planer, joiner and band saw would round out a nice shop, but also would ask a bit of your wallet.

Personally, I like a deep and very long bench, with storage over and under, with electric built into the front edge. My small one is 22' long, 30" deep and has outlets every 5'. My hand held power tools live under on a shelf. My mast building bench is only 18" deep, but 36' long and dead level. Both benches have been cut for 1" round dogs and have more then one vise mounted.

Setting up shop is a bit of an art form and the ones that work the best are built after years of experience. You don't know how much outfeed table to put behind a tool's stand until you chew up a lot of wood and have to cuss at a few different setups. I use to use those roller stands behind the table saw. They fell over, would get knocked out of the height required, had to be adjusted. When I moved my shop to the barn (she wanted her garage back) I made a table behind the saw, with a built in dust collection system, adjustable rollers and tool stands on the other end so it could serve different tasks.

There are books available on setting up a wood working shop. Try WoodWorker magazine and the other trade publications. They have plenty of ideas and floor plans available

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.