non-atomised gelcoater info

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JV_Comp, Jan 12, 2008.

1. JV_Comp

JV_Comp Junior Member

I am looking to purchase a new gelcoat spaying system. Does anyone have experience with the non-atomised versions available such as the INDy sytem or others? Which would you recommend?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Most systems will work, you just need to re-learn the process. At one time they were going to be required, but the Feds backed off on it. Not many accounts use them, many found no advantage in emmissions and it was difficult to keep the gel coaters from messing with the settings and just atomizing the gel coat in a different way. Go with a brand that will supply good support for parts and service. MVP is the dominate player in gel coat and resin spray equipment.

3. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

I have two Binks gel coat units for sale. One is a single color, and the other is two color.

4. JV_Comp

JV_Comp Junior Member

non-atomised gelcoater continued

I have been looking at different external mix gel coat spray systems. Do you know anyhting about Phoenix Equipment Co. products such as the Apollo gelcoat and Atlas wet out systems? Their prices are reasonable. I have a small shop and I would like to keep equipment costs down.

I am primarily concerned about overspray not VOCs. I don't want a cloud of atomised material floating all over the spray booth and complicating clean up, etc. I have observed some operators in well ventilated booths working without face masks. Overspray and bounceback seemed non-existant.

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I've never used their equipment and it may work fine, but there's a reason MVP has most of the market, it works, you can get parts and they have tech service all over North America. I would look for some used equipment from a mainstream company first.

6. tja

tja Senior Member

tja

Hello, Go with MVP. I have a Magnum mini pro gelcoater I bought new. Works very well. I also have a older Magnum chopper gun with a 20ft boom that kicks *** over a Venus or Glascraft. Good luck.

7. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

we need a gun

We need a gelcoat gun and chopper gun. If it's worth shipping all the way to Fort Myers, FL, can you email me a couple of pics? Thanks!!

Tony Clark
    tcclark@comcast.net