Can't find good salvage pieces

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by juiceclark, May 1, 2008.

1. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

After a month of spending a minute looking here and there online, I still can't find a place where they salvage large components. To be more specific, I'd love to have a flybridge helm from a late '70s 48' Egg Harbor, a hard fiberglass salon ceiling liner from a 14m Trojan, molded staircase, etc., etc.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

Making this stuff from scratch isn't bad but it's a lot harder than just copying old favorites from designs long passed. There are several places in FL, like Marine Connection Liquidators, that sell new stuff left over from factories, but I want the old stuff. Besides, most of those places sell parts from boats under 30'. I need the pieces left from yachts destroyed in Katrina and the like.

Any ideas??

Tony in Sw FL

2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

3. juiceclark

I had checked with the first 2, they only sell the whole boat. The last two don't have anything. The next time we have a hurricane, I might just go buy/pick up a few tractor-trailer loads of parts...only the good stuff.

Thanks for your input, TC

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

There are places in Jupitor, and Big Tuna, and Sailorman in Lauderdale

5. juiceclark

KJ,
    Thanks for those...Big Tuna was the best bet but they're a bit dry right now. I guess we need a good hurricane to help the biz in so many ways.

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Actually Sailorman is better, now. I pretty much rebuilt two boats out of Big Tuna, but they lost their big "you pull-it" yard and now only sell parts that they salvage themselves. Sailorman has more to chose from, but you have to fight for a decent price.

7. juiceclark

Kaptin,
    Thanks! After a few more phone calls the dude at Big Tuna says he might know of something and to call again in a few after he looks around. That's the problem livin' on the west coast...you can't get good results by phone unless you're a pain in the a$$. Would be nice to visit these yards.

Tony

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Glad I could help. I know there is a big yard in Jupiter, but I really can't remember the name. I have never been there, but they sell on Ebay. Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.