Print through any one ??

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tunnels, May 14, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I love pictures and clicking when no one is round !! this is some good examples of fibre print through !! what causes the pattern to show up like this ?what hasnt been done ?????
    Get the light at the right angle and the right time of the day with shadows and lots straight line reflextions all highlights things worse than they really are !! but its good to see.
    The second picture has shine and smooth on the left side and glass pattern on the other side !
    Please note this boat was manufactured in Australia and has been sitting in the mould untill 6 months ago .The marks are not from the mould because i checked !!!!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      291.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      166.8 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      368.8 KB
      Views:
  2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Is it an actual boat or just some mold protective laminations for shipping?

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its a real boat !!
    42 footer sitting outside my office door has a pair of 350 hp cummins and bravo 3 legs ,all put in in the last couple of days !!.
    When i go to boat shows i am a saddist and find all kinds a things that most people never see .A good powerful lense and well places can find all sorts of misshaps. Digital is good and the computer program helps with emphisizing problems .
    I had been waiting for the right moment for the last few days !!. I have some more but have to resize !!

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

more of the same boat

:D I had to resize these to get them here !!
    The first picture is where a bulkhead is glassed inside and has pulled !!! so remember no hot brews and not to much glass at any one time !!. Had this on a small boat once so just ground it off and it reseased and the mark dissapeared completely!! The same problem on the other side but was not quite so bad !!
    Second picture is the same bukhead slightly differant place ,just with a little more shadow !!
    Third is forward a little and fibre print !!
    Two Main causes would have been thin gelcoat!!
    thin glass over the top of the gelcoat
    the possibility of not being cured sufficently before the next and thicker glassing !!
    then the fabrics laid also with a thin layer of bedding csm !
    Other things to be aware of are temprature and humidity of the day , The catayst ratio a little to high maybe ! Add all these together and you get what we got !!
    Later today i went stood and really took note of what i was seeing . One side of the boat is noticably worse that the other ,so something else to add to the list 2 differant people could have worked on this boat when it was at the gelcoat stage !!.
    Yet another ! because the moulds were on stands they could have had one side glassed and then the mould rolled over and the port side sprayed before lunch !! then staight after lunch break the second coat of glass might have been applied so that side did not have time to cure!!! gell and go hard yes but not cure!! , big differance between the two !!
    In a presure prduction place this is most likely .
    Look and remember when you see it, know what the possible causes are so you dont do the same thing !! It could be any one of those problems i have discribed or a combination of them all !!
    its all cosmetic !!

If anyone has problems with big pictures and trying to load here this is a free download to reduce insize !! its easy to use and quick ==http://www.stormdance.net/software/photorazor/software%20overview.htm smaller pictures load very easy and quick !!

Attached Files:

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Molding boats is a "subjective" process. Attention to detail, quality control, helps to keep all the steps and processes as uniform as possible which help to keep the product as uniform as possible. Paying attention from the first steps and getting them right can carry through the whole project and make the last steps much easier with better results. You show here that the very first steps affect the very last effect. Sloppy beginnings, even if the quality of the rest of the build is perfect, look bad at the end and bring up the question of quality of the whole boat.
    Good post, tunnels.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I have a work sheet system for each and every part of the building of a boat and with this you are able to see at a glance who did what and how much material was used and where !!. its easy to impliment and at the end of a job when the bits are demoulded and weighed . there can and will be a small percentage of + or - thats is acceptable but when it runs into lots a kilos of differances from the same part done before i want to know WHY ?? SOMETHING IS WRONG Find out what !!! :( making people accountable for there actions and what they have done changes attaudes !! and like i have posted before i have a camera in my pocket all the time and take pictures everyday of all kinds of things so can see who and when and what !! Its a photographic diary of events so theres no arguing when theres a problem and we go to a meeting armed with blow up pictures . I have put a stop to red faces and people pointing fingers and saying i wasnt there etc etc !!. sorry you face is looking at me !!
    :D

7. midnitmike

midnitmike Senior Member

Yep, there are lots of reasons for blemishes showing up even in a prefectly layed up hull. One of the most common I see is around bulkheads when they were glassed in too soon after the hull was pulled from the mold. As the hull continues to cure and shrink the bulkhead will resist that shrinkage and create a hard spot that's easy to see even when your walking down the dock on a sunny day.

Mike

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

its amazing how things change over time That particular boat has been sitting in a mould for possibly close to 2 years It came from Australia with all the other moulds and is one of the last to have been lifted out assembled and is being finished off . Each day i walk past it maybe 2o times ! one side of the boat is worse than the other for who knows the reason . . i picked up the core plugs from skin fittings as they came out and the lay up is quite thick so its only a cosmetic thing nothing structual !!
    In production bulk heads never get fitted the proper way bust cut and place and glass thats your lot . that particular Bulkhead was fitted in Australia as well so has seen a few hot summers and freezing winters . :D

9. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Different left and right can be due to the sun / shadow. The sunny side might have received a better cure.

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Coming from Australia anything is possible !! if you could see some of the places they work would make your hair stand on end !! One place i went up in Brisbane was a old chicken farm complete with all the shi@@@ every where still on the floor . Another place making pools out the back of surfers wasnt any better !! so gave the place a miss !!. :(