tooling for rotational moulding

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by grob, May 11, 2004.

1. grob

grob www.windknife.com

Does anyone know about composite tooling products for rotational molding.

I am told that there are some resins and reinforcements that can operate at high enough temperatures 120-160c to be used as tooling for rotational moulding. Instead of the usual aluminium molds.

Does anyone have experience with this or know of any other companies that have tried this.

2. DAVIDOHL

DAVIDOHL DAVID

Composite Tooling

MELT TEMPERATURES OF POLYETHYLENE, WHICH IS MOST OFTEN USED, RANGES FROM 175 TO 200 DEGREES CELSIUS

3. grob

grob www.windknife.com

David, thanks for that. I am beginning to think that I have been misled on composite tooling for rotational moulding. While there are products that can withstand the high temperatures, I think that the thermal conductivity of the material is the killer.

4. DAVIDOHL

DAVIDOHL DAVID

ost ovens run at 325 to 400 degrees celsius. The most popular materials for molds are mild steel, stainless steel(sheet) and aluminium cast. There are a few other materials used, like nickel plate, but not very often.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.