Tony Bullimore is missing

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guillermo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Hey, Mike! I think I'm beginning to like you! ;)

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hell that's my cover blown! But Guillermo only the truth mate :)

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

He is approaching Albany Western Australia today. His phone died !

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

please dont tell me he is another that dont make provisions , such as 2 vhf radios for a professional,,,(Im not impressed)longliner

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Or perhaps we wanted some free publicity. It looks that he have managed that:D

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I would hope not ,,its not too funny to be worried about someone at sea. I dont know the man,or anything about him.but like I said ,,Im not very impressed with his safety provisions,,,,,one must always prepare for war in time of peace,,,,,,,longliner , also if he relies on a cellphone ,,or one radio, is he the one you want to model after? or is he a pro ;or just some guy with a boat?

7. Guillermo

From his pages:
    "The crew and boat are fine. We have simply been out of satellite range for our Mini M phone which is working again now that we are approaching Western Australia. We have two other satellite phones onboard but there seems to be a problem with the aerial connections which we will try and get fixed in Albany before heading on to Hobart."

In this era of satellite comms, what has happened with good old SSB? I think not mounting one of those aboard for an extended voyage is not good seamanship. Exactly by the same reason cellular phones cannot substitute VHF radio: You cannot talk rescuers, other ships, etc.

Cheers

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Bugger they found him!

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

You use your binoculars to read the ships name then use directory services to get their number and ring them up :)

10. Guillermo

Even better: Ring the wife of the captain to find out if she's available :D

11. safewalrus

Who ever said Bullimore is a professional? He's a chancer who like to use other peoples money to further his own gains - the only good thing that can be said is that at least he does his own stunts! {but he makes sure theres someone to pull him out of the poo! Hello Australian Navy!}

12. Guillermo

Something else from Bullimore:
    (http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20070121110625ywnews.html)

"Sixty-eight-year-old Tony Bullimore, currently in Hobart, Tasmania awaiting a weather window to commence his solo circumnavigation record attempt, has resigned himself to at least another week ashore.

Bullimore who's been on standby for well over two months has been plagued by lack of wind and according to Barry Pickthall from the shore team, the chances of him setting off in the next few days are zero. Apparently there's a massive high sitting over Hobart and the weather system looks likely to remain static for the next few days (see chart) leaving Bullimore no choice other than to sit wait.

Pickthall commenting on the situation said: "Actually I hope he's continuing to spend the time he has available at the gym. He has all the facilities there and I think he got quite into it."

The last update we had from Bullimore a month ago was the news of problems with his gennaker furling gear and damaged runner aboard his 102ft catamaran Doha 2006. Apparently everything has been fixed now and the boat has never looked more prepared.

But the question is, has Bullimore missed the chance of going this year? According to Pickthall no, there's still time, adding: "We have a cut-off time of end of March. Yes, it is getting late in the season but he won't be going that far south he'll be in the 30s most of the way. The worst bit will diving deep rounding Cape Horn."

13. safewalrus

Well I hope he makes it but God he's making heavy weather of it, and that's before he sails!! Wonder which poor sod he'll put on next time he stuffs up! And unfortunately you know he will!

14. Guillermo

Tony Bullimore is finally leaving Hobart to begin his attempt to break the current record for a solo circumnavigation set by Dame Ellen Macarthur in 2005 - 71 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes, 33 seconds.
    I wish him good luck.
    http://www.teambullimore.com/

15. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

What are the odds on a. getting all the way around and b. beating Ellen's time? Slim and non-existent.
    Alternatively, how many days do you think he'll manage before something goes wrong? My guess = 3 days until a rudder breaks.
    I do wish him luck, but he hasn't done much recently to inspire confidence...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.